Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

1907 British Bayonet Markings‏

Article about: Hello, I'm considering buying a 1907 Enfield bayonet on eBay but have stumbled across several problems with the markings. It's a 1907 Sanderson bayonet but there are two inspection marks. On

Babobeebo
    ?

Default 1907 British Bayonet Markings‏

Hello,
    I'm considering buying a 1907 Enfield bayonet on eBay but have stumbled across several problems with the markings.
    It's a 1907 Sanderson bayonet but there are two inspection marks. One says 2D E and are on either side of the bending mark while another says IV E and is located above the bending mark. Both are accompanied by the overlapping circle symbol.There is also a faint set of numbers on the same side as the bending and inspection marks that look like "85" or something similar, though they are somewhat worn.
    The other issue is the regimental markings. Although the blade is stamped with July of 1917, 2 Q.R.R is stamped onto the pommel. I thought it would be the Queen's Royal Rifles but not only did they receive that name in 1921, but the abbreviation would be W.SR. if it was. It could be O.R.R as well, as there is a rather deep scratch on the regimental abbreviation. There is also a 1 3 7 stamped below the regimental information, further adding to the mystery.
    It may be possible that this whole piece is an elaborate fake, an inherent risk in using eBay. However, I do appreciate any help you can offer.

Item in question

Default Re: 1907 British Bayonet Markings‏

Sorry I may be a bit thick here, but Queens Royal Rifles? in 1917? Should that not be Kings?

Looking at the item on e bay, i would have grave concerns on the markings. The Sanderson and the date look like they have been stamped yesterday, and the "Kings" crown looks very worn above it.

In 1937 with the breaking up of the London Regiment, the 9th County of London Battalion, The London Regiment (Territorial Army) became The Queen Victoria's Rifles, The King's Royal Rifle Corps (Territorial Army). At the outbreak of WWII in 1939, the Queen Victoria's were split into two battalions.

As far as I am aware there was never a Queens Royal Rifles?

Only the Kings, which is now Royal Green Jackets

JMO

found this too

Pattern 1907, manufactured August 1918 by Sanderson
    Attached Images Attached Images 1907 British Bayonet Markings‏ 

Quote by Babobeebo View Post
    Hello,
    I'm considering buying a 1907 Enfield bayonet on eBay but have stumbled across several problems with the markings.
    It's a 1907 Sanderson bayonet but there are two inspection marks. One says 2D E and are on either side of the bending mark while another says IV E and is located above the bending mark. Both are accompanied by the overlapping circle symbol.There is also a faint set of numbers on the same side as the bending and inspection marks that look like "85" or something similar, though they are somewhat worn.
    The other issue is the regimental markings. Although the blade is stamped with July of 1917, 2 Q.R.R is stamped onto the pommel. I thought it would be the Queen's Royal Rifles but not only did they receive that name in 1921, but the abbreviation would be W.SR. if it was. It could be O.R.R as well, as there is a rather deep scratch on the regimental abbreviation. There is also a 1 3 7 stamped below the regimental information, further adding to the mystery.
    It may be possible that this whole piece is an elaborate fake, an inherent risk in using eBay. However, I do appreciate any help you can offer.

Item in question
    Here is my Sanderson Bayonet, its a Jul 1915 made bayonet without the oil hole. I think the bayonet on ebay is genuine, the Regimental markings may not be that, my bayonet has the letters 8SH 591 which means nothing to me, maybe there just a serial no? Anyway, heres the photo of mine. p.s. Cost me £25 in a junk shop.

Babobeebo
    ?

Sorry, I made a slight mistake when speculating what the Q.R.R could stand for. Not the Queen's Royal Rifles but rather the Queen's Royal Regiment which, as it turns out, had the abbreviation of W.SR. You also make a good point in mentioning the uneven amounts of wear on the crown and then on the date/manufacturer. Perhaps this could be from use? Or maybe someone decided to add a bit of history to this particular bayonet.
    It's a bit of a shame that a bayonet in such good condition should have as questionable markings as these. Maybe I could bring myself to ignore them