Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

1st Special Services Forces pocketknife

Article about: These knives were issued to the 10th Mountain Division, and a joint US/Canadian force known as the 1st Special Services Force, "The Devil's Brigade", a forerunner of today's US Spe

Default 1st Special Services Forces pocketknife

These knives were issued to the 10th Mountain Division, and a joint US/Canadian force known as the 1st Special Services Force, "The Devil's Brigade", a forerunner of today's US Special Forces. If they were issued to other groups, I'm not aware of it.

There were several versions, most of the differences between the versions had to do with variations in the can opener styles.

They all were manufactured by ULSTER KNIFE COMPANY, they all had the distinct bail with US stamped on the bow, and all of them had 5 blades one of which is the phillips screwdriver tip. All were manufactured with jigged bone scales.

This particular knife was in the belonging's of my wife's uncle that were shipped home after his death in France in 1944. I haven't done anything to it other than to oil it to stop any further corrosion. I prefer to leave it "as found".

These knives are rather scarce. The few I have seen on ebay have sold from $110 to over $500USD depending on condition. Knives in similar condition to the knife pictured bring around $200. Not a lot of people are aware of this knife and I'm sure they are out there to be had, if you know what you are looking at.

SALUD!
    W

Default Re: 1st Special Services Forces pocketknife

Thanks for posting this knife, as you say they turn up on ebay, but in your case knowing the history behind the knife adds so much more value to you as opposed to one just bought with no history behind it, John.

PS I expect that you know that the phillips screwdriver was for either adjusting the ski straps or the lengths of the metal "shoe" to fit the boots, John.

Quote by Blackpowder44 View Post
    PS I expect that you know that the phillips screwdriver was for either adjusting the ski straps or the lengths of the metal "shoe" to fit the boots, John.
    I was blissfully unaware of that fact and have often wondered why the phillips tip. Makes sense now.

THANKS!
    W