MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

anyone know anything about this knife?

Article about: My grandmother just recently gave me this knife that belonged to my great grandfather. he was in the service in ww2 but he never went to battle. he was stationed on one of the elizabeth isla

KnifeInTheGut
    ?

Default anyone know anything about this knife?

My grandmother just recently gave me this knife that belonged to my great grandfather. he was in the service in ww2 but he never went to battle. he was stationed on one of the elizabeth islands off of the massachusetts coast and was part of the C.C.C (not sure what it stands for). I'm just wondering if anyone could provide me with an idea about this knife. the picture of the belt shows that it says "U.S. J.Q.M.D 1945". I did some searching, and i found that J.Q.M.D is a company that makes weapon holsters and ammo pouches (correct me if I'm wrong). if you could also maybe tell me the value of this that would be great.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture anyone know anything about this knife?   anyone know anything about this knife?  

anyone know anything about this knife?   anyone know anything about this knife?  

Default Re: anyone know anything about this knife?

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

The knife is home made but nicely done.

The belt is the standard issue trouser belt. The marking are actually for "Jersey Quater Master Depot". 1945 is the date. 36 is the waist size.

Cheers, Ade.

KnifeInTheGut
    ?

thanks for the reply!...and thanks for the welcome. do you know if the age of this knife could possibly put a price on this?....Oh and if you dont mind me asking, how do you know it is home made? what gives it away

?

The c c c stands for Civil Conservation Corps. They did all kinds of public works projects in the 30-40's. Back then a lot of knives were donated to the war effort or bought on the private market. your knife would fit into that area. Gary

KnifeInTheGut
    ?

Thanks for the answers guys! It really clears it up. As for the knife, is there any value at all? or is it a pretty common knife? I'm not planning on selling it, as it was just recently given to me by my grandmother.

It is known as a 'private purchase' knife. There is no standard
    pattern for these knives, and they were never officially
    issued to the US Army.

It does have a value, perhaps $50 to $80 or so, but it looks
    to have been well used, and condition is not great.

The belt is standard GI, as stated.
    Regards,

Steve.