Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Australian Bayonets

Article about: I have a nice set of bayonets from down under. I've been trying to identify them so I can get an idea of their potential value. The date on one of them is labeled 1907... but they look much

Electerik
    ?

Default Australian Bayonets

I have a nice set of bayonets from down under.

I've been trying to identify them so I can get an idea of their potential value.

The date on one of them is labeled 1907... but they look much more recent than wwI issued weapons. Still, I'm no expert.
    They're also labeled differently. Would that imply different regions or a possible copy?

Any help?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Australian Bayonets   Australian Bayonets  

Australian Bayonets   Australian Bayonets  

Australian Bayonets   Australian Bayonets  

Default Re: Australian Bayonets

Very nice set of 'Down Under' British Pattern '07 Bayonets... BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

?

Very nice! Wonder if these these ever served in Africa? Who knows!

1907 represents the model - Pattern 1907 bayonet for the .303 Short Magazine Lee Enfield (SMLE)/ No 1 Rifle.

From what I can see of the blade markings, both were made in Australia.

"7 21 Lithgow" - represents manufacture (or possibly refurbishment) in July 1921 at the Lithgow Arsenal, New South Wales.

"Slaz 56" - Slazenger 1956 (also makers of tennis rackets and cricket bats !).

"MA" - either Made in Australia or Munitions Australia or Macharms Australia - there is some debate IIRC - but definitely Australian !.

The Australians used this rifle/bayonet for a lot longer than the British who replaced it with the No 4 with spike bayonet. Certainly still in use during the Korean War.

They look to be in very good condition. I suspect they have been refurbished as the markings are somewhat ill defined but this does not detract from their collectability - just part of their long history.

Hope that helps a little.

Regards

Richie