Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

British Army Jack Knives 1880-1979

Article about: I cannot put an exact date on it, other than post war, maybe 1950's or 60's? But I am starting to guess now, which is not good. Cheers, Ade

Default Re: British Army Jack Knives 1880-1979

I cannot put an exact date on it, other than post war, maybe 1950's or 60's? But I am starting to guess now, which is not good.

Cheers, Ade

Adrian01
    ?

Dear Ade,
    Thanks again. I will assume the dates of 1946 to 1986.
    Regards, Adrian.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    I cannot put an exact date on it, other than post war, maybe 1950's or 60's? But I am starting to guess now, which is not good.

Cheers, Ade

?

I had three of these jacks, now sadly only one same version as your no/ 7, made by G. Ibberson & Co, Sheffield, with WD arrow dated 1942, but the bakelite grip is different, it has a small horizontal squared design, another variant perhaps?

Please would another forum member tell me anything about this jack knife. Is it a genuine British army jack knife? Was it issued to a specific regiment? Is it a civilian version of an army knife? Is it (perhaps) a scout knife? Your help would be appreciated. Thanking you in anticipation.
    As mentioned previously this is a Naval issue jack knife.

This style were introduced around 1938/39 (definitely around in 1939 as I have a couple dated 1939 and I'm sure I once came across a 1938 one though it may well of been 1939?).
    Your version will date from the early years I would imagine as it has the copper shackle on it. The army style jack knives had their copper shackles replaced with steel sometime in 1941 (copper was needed elsewhere in the war effort) and I presume the naval knives would change around the same time. As far as I'm aware once they stopped using copper shackles they never went back to them, I have nothing that is dated 1942 or later going right up to fairly recently that has a copper shackle (naval or otherwise) so I guess it would be fair to say your knife dates from around 1938/39 to 1941.

?

Default British Army Jack Knife

Hi Fellas,
    I found this Jack Knife on a Battle site in Hong Kong.

While it dose have some striking similarities with others above, it also has a couple of features which differ.

The general appearance is that of a standard British Army Jack knife, however the handle is made from a dark brown/red-ish plastic (I think, could be Formica, I'm unsure).

Another difference is that the smaller of the two main utilities on the top (normally a can opener) has a closed loop, which i haven't seen on others.

Sadly, the steel lanyard loop broke off, but it was identical to others.

Any ideas?

My apologies if this is not in the correct forum.
    Last edited by banny; 06-22-2011 at 05:36 AM.

I have just managed to pick up a job lot of knives including what may be a 1939 British Army Jack knife and I think a slightly later model too.
    I managed to get them for £20+ premium at a local auction. Haven't received them yet so not sure of the quality.
    Are they worth anything, not so much interested in regards to whether I got a bargain (although it's always nice). more interested in knowing if I should try to clean them up if they are out of shape or would that sacrileges?

Any advice gratefully received...

GJC

?

We need to see photos to best evaluate the condition, authenticity, and if anything should be done, you normally dont clean up knives, it destroys the age patina, unless there is rust that will cause further damage if not treated

Thanks davejb.
    As soon as I get them (probably tomorrow) I'll take some shots and post them here...

Hi, some nice knives on show. Here is my British army knife, it is dated 1989, so out of your timeframe. It cost me nothing, I found it lying on the sidewalk in a Scottish city about fifteen years ago!

Attachment 433840

I got my delivery today so here are the images. There are 8 knives in the bunch. I will restrict this post to the military related knives.

Appears to have 1939 stamped on the blade and something that looks like "?NO BLTD SHEFFIELD" on the can opener. As you can see the metal is in pretty good cond. and it snaps shut in a rather threatening fashion! With copper shackle.

Very nice cond. Although the springs are looser (not such a clean snap back). Not sure if you can see but the text reads: H.M.SLATER SHEFFIELD CC1286 [upward arrow] 1952" and then the usual: "OIL THE JOINTS".

This one has no markings whatsoever. Not in such great condition but looks like it is at least modeled on the army issue jack knives.

Any info. gratefully received. As I mentioned before I am not entirely worried about the worth of these pocket knives, but interested as to whether I should clean them up or leave as they stand? I paid £20, plus shipping and premium for a bunch of 8 knives.

Let me know what you think!

GJC

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast