Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

British Bayonets

Article about: I've just about got the Lee-Enfield covered, 2 more and I think it'll be done. From the top, Pattern 1888 MkI Enfield, ditto Wilkinson, Pattern 1903 Enfield Unit markings from the first 1888

Default British Bayonets

I've just about got the Lee-Enfield covered, 2 more and I think it'll be done.

From the top, Pattern 1888 MkI Enfield, ditto Wilkinson, Pattern 1903 Enfield
    British Bayonets

Unit markings from the first 1888 I Y G R

British Bayonets

Pattern 1907s, top and bottom Sanderson, middle has no makers mark that I can make out. Top is dated '09, bottom is '17 middle might be '11 it's stamped 10 '1 '1

British Bayonets

Then the No4s, top is No4 Mk1 cruicform by Singer, second is Mk2 also by Singer, next 2 are Savage Mk2, next 2 are H&B, VNS and Mk3 in plastic scabbard. The 3 on the side are Long Branch, first is in a Victory Plastics scabbard, middle is post 1946 marked

British Bayonets

Then the last of them designed for the Lee-Enfield series Top is No5 Mk1 jungle bayonet, then No7 Mk1/L with red toughnel scales, ditto with black plastic scales. Top 2 are Wilkinson marked, can't make out the last one, and the No9 Mk1 Enfield

British Bayonets

but I oculdn't stop there, I had to keep going to present top is L1A3 then L3A1 for the SA80 with early frog, and L3A1 with L2A1 scabbard and new frog.

British Bayonets
    British Bayonets

and then a few Commonwealth blades, top is Indian MkII, then South African No9 with SA marked frog, and then Australian L1A2

British Bayonets

Default Re: British Bayonets

Lovely collection

Quote by Stinkpotpete View Post
    Unit markings from the first 1888 I Y G R
    IY GR would be Gloucestershire Imperial Yeomanry, if you hadn't identified it already.

Pattern 1907s, top and bottom Sanderson, middle has no makers mark that I can make out.
    I have never seen a 1907 without a makers mark... there MUST be one.. can you do a close up? Some of them are faint for sure.

Rob

Great collection of Lee-Enfield bayonets. Well done.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Nice collection. Can't stop there though, keep going backwards in time till you hit a wall of pikemen

Thank you, and yes, I have been looking at the older ones, hehe I've been thinking about starting on the Martinis, and a Brown Bess if I can find one I can afford.

I took a couple close ups of the ricasso, and when zoom in alot, I I can make out a D in the middle of the blade, and a line near the trailing edge, but both are too close together for it to be another Sanderson, but I can't see a trace of an E or F before the D. It's been pretty well scrubbed in that area, the crown is almost gone as well

And thank yo for the heads up on the unit markings, I was thinking Inniskilling, but they didn't come into existence until 1922, so I was thinking that was a bit late.

British BayonetsBritish Bayonets

Very impressive Bayo collection mate.
    You should be proud of your efforts.
    Well done.

Thank you, and yes, I have been looking at the older ones, hehe I've been thinking about starting on the Martinis, and a Brown Bess if I can find one I can afford.

I took a couple close ups of the ricasso, and when zoom in alot, I I can make out a D in the middle of the blade, and a line near the trailing edge, but both are too close together for it to be another Sanderson, but I can't see a trace of an E or F before the D. It's been pretty well scrubbed in that area, the crown is almost gone as well

And thank yo for the heads up on the unit markings, I was thinking Inniskilling, but they didn't come into existence until 1922, so I was thinking that was a bit late.

British BayonetsBritish Bayonets
    Yes, it's really hard to see. I think the 'D' you can see is actually a '5', and I think the date mark is '10 '15 '15, which I am assuming is a bad October 1915 manufacture stamp. I think the maker might well be EFD (RSAF Enfield).

What is also interesting about your three 1907s is that two of them are modified. The top one, being 1909 made, is a 1st type (hooked quillon) modified to 3rd type. You can see clearly by the oil hole in the pommel, which is larger than normal and slightly in the wrong position, due to it being added in a workshop.

The middle one, if it is Oct 15, is a 2nd type modified to 3rd type by adding the oil hole. With all the manufacturers and modifications, you could actually collect 1907s for ever Personally I really like 1907 Pattern Sword Bayonets, they're beautiful weapons.

Rob

Yep. I've always liked the 1907's myself as well. Huge things, they didn't call them sword bayonets for nothing! They make your skin crawl thinking of one of these things being stuck in someones guts.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Yep. I've always liked the 1907's myself as well. Huge things, they didn't call them sword bayonets for nothing! They make your skin crawl thinking of one of these things being stuck in someones guts.
    My understanding is they had to be careful not to stick them in too deep, 6 ins or so only, or they could get stuck. I assume the soft flesh would create a suction effect and grip the long blade. Now that thought makes my skin crawl even more.

Rob

4md
    ?

great collection, Im a big fan of the p07 bayonets and british bayo's in general so thanks for showing it.

regards Paul

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast