Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

British No. 7 Bayonet

Article about: I just acquired a british no. 7 bayonet and am wondering how to clean it without damaging the steel. I've heard steel wool is the last thing you should use on antique blades but thought i'd

Caseydiggz
    ?

Default British No. 7 Bayonet

I just acquired a british no. 7 bayonet and am wondering how to clean it without damaging the steel. I've heard steel wool is the last thing you should use on antique blades but thought i'd ask for sure on here. I cleaned it pretty thoroughly and applied a little bit of WD40 on it but without doing anything else I thought I would ask your opinions.

Default Re: British No. 7 Bayonet

ive used a scotchbright pad and wd40 before now its a lot less abrasive than wire wool and comes in different grades
    you should be able to get one from any car spares place they are used for rubbing down paint work just to take the shine off before respraying but wait to see what others use first

It would be helpful to see a photo if you could, to see what the blade looks like at present?

Cheers, Ade.

?

Yes as Ade said a picture would be nice, plus I wouldn't use WD 40 (well not the stuff in the spray can) as it only displaces water as the name states, and is not really designed as a long term corrosion inhibitor, 3-1 Oil is much better for that job, plus it has certain additional chemicals which are designed to lift out rust from the surface of the steel "cleans, oils and protects" to quote their own slogan.

Nige.

P.S. WD 40 is available in a 5 litre bottle, this is much thicker (heavier) oil than the spray can verity and does actually dry to leave a surface layer once fully oxidised.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

Caseydiggz
    ?

Quote by Nige H View Post
    Yes as Ade said a picture would be nice, plus I wouldn't use WD 40 (well not the stuff in the spray can) as it only displaces water as the name states, and is not really designed as a long term corrosion inhibitor, 3-1 Oil is much better for that job, plus it has certain additional chemicals which are designed to lift out rust from the surface of the steel "cleans, oils and protects" to quote their own slogan.

Nige.

P.S. WD 40 is available in a 5 litre bottle, this is much thicker (heavier) oil than the spray can verity and does actually dry to leave a surface layer once fully oxidised.
    Here are the pictures
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British No. 7 Bayonet   British No. 7 Bayonet  

British No. 7 Bayonet  

Hi, thanks for the pics. A couple of comments on the bayonet first.

It has an American import mark of "England" stamped on the grip. The scabbard will also be American made and is not British issue.

The blade has seen a hard life. It is never going to clean up to look perfect.

Cheers, Ade.

Caseydiggz
    ?

Ya, I knew it was gonna be impossible to make it look "perfect" but 1 side of the bayonet isn't horrible so i'll just display it on the good side or in the scabbard it came to me in.

What is the significance of the ENGLAND stamp? It isn't factory done?

No, the "England" stamp was not factory done: these were added to comply with US importation laws when the bayonets were sold as post war surplus. Not sure if the marking was done here or in the USA?

Cheers, Ade.

You should be able to find an original metal scabbard for it
    on line, or at a show. The leather one is not correct, and is not military.

Regards,

Steve.

?

I would give the rust a gentle clean with a substance called SHINE . Its made in germany but you can get it here in most hardware stores.Use a soft scourer with it and dont be to eager to pummel the rust out It has a cleaning agent as well as a rust preventative I use it regulary to clean and protect by small collection of blades. Using a soft cloth this wiil not scour any deeper when repeating the process

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast