Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Camillus M4 Bayonet ?

Article about: Hello Gent's, A friend of mine picked up a M4 bayonet that was made by Camillus. It has the leather stacked washer grip. I have the basic info about this type of bayonet from my "Bayone

?

Default Camillus M4 Bayonet ?

Hello Gent's,
    A friend of mine picked up a M4 bayonet that was made by Camillus. It has the leather stacked washer grip. I have the basic info about this type of bayonet from my "Bayonets from Janes Notebook" but nothing that goes into details about this mfg's. Like when they started ,ended production and how many they made? I also would like to know how I can tell when it was made?
    He is bring it into work tomorrow for me to look at, So any help would be greatly appreciated.

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Phil,
    Look for leather handle groves, butt plate domed rivets, and also the ordinance bomb on the grip side of the cross guard that are indicative of WWII production. Korean era differ, and much latter non-military production differs as well.

Check out Gary Cunningham's website for more info.
    Bayo Points 17

Check out this page as well.
    Bayo Points 8
    Regards,
    John

?

Awesome info and a great site.
    Thanks John!!!!
    Just caught that addition to your first post OUTSTANDING!!!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

You are welcome Phil, I hope it turns out to be a nice example.
    Regards,
    John

?

If its a WW2 version I'll have to see if it for sale!!!!!!!!
    I like to lowball but he is a friend. Any idea of what the WW2 versions go for these days?

SF
    Phil

?

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    If its a WW2 version I'll have to see if it for sale!!!!!!!!
    I like to lowball but he is a friend. Any idea of what the WW2 versions go for these days?

SF
    Phil
    That is really going to depend on condition. Camillus was one of the more common manufacturers,so no premium there. Does it have a scabbard, is it an M-8 or an M-8A1? M-8's are less common. Prices vary greatly, but $50-$125 seem to be common for run of the mill m4's with scabbards in decent shape.

Jim

?

Hello Jim,
    Yes it does have the scabbard. I spoke to him on the phone, so I will not know the condition until tomorrow when I get to work. I asked if the scabbard had M8A1 or a bursting bomb marked on the metal throat of the scabbard and he said it did not have any marking there. So I will have to see tomorrow.
    Thanks Jim and John!!
    Hey that just happens to be the name's of some of my favorite whiskey's!!!
    Might be a sign!!!!

SF
    Phil

?

Well my buddy brought it in today and it was the WW2 version. But it had seen better days. The leather grip was loose, the blade looked like somebody used a grinder to sharpen it and kind of bowed in the middle from over sharpening. Well Oh Well. He was happy to know about it so it made his day. He said he paid $25 for it so no major loss to him.
    Thank again John for the web links they helped a lot and thanks Jim for your input!!!.

Semper Fi
    Phil

I was hoping it was going to be a good one for you Phil.

I have one which I'll post if you like. Bought it about
    12 years ago for $75. I can't remember if it's
    a Camillus or Imperial.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Oh well, nothing ventured.....nothing gained. I have several M4's, They are great little blades.
    Regards,
    John