Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Camillus Mark 2 Fighting Knife: Date of manufacture?

Article about: I have a question regarding a Camillus Mark 2 Fighting Knife. I have searched far and wide and can't seem to come up with a date of manufacture. It's a standard Guard Marked Mark 2. On the g

Default Camillus Mark 2 Fighting Knife: Date of manufacture?

I have a question regarding a Camillus Mark 2 Fighting Knife. I have searched far and wide and can't seem to come up with a date of manufacture.

It's a standard Guard Marked Mark 2. On the guard it is stamped
    Camillus N.Y. USN Mark 2. it's the pinned model.

Is there any way to figure out when it was made. The Scabbard I have been able to pin down to 43/44 but I am uncertain if the knife and scabbard came together or if they were cobbled together.

I have done a serious amount of hunting prior to asking but I'm not coming up with anything.

Thanks in advance

Mike

Default re: Camillus Mark 2 Fighting Knife: Date of manufacture?

This is the best picture of the knife that I have at the moment. I'd take another picture but it's night here so pictures won't come out too well.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Camillus Mark 2 Fighting Knife: Date of manufacture?  

Quote by Pompa Mike View Post
    I have a question regarding a Camillus Mark 2 Fighting Knife. I have searched far and wide and can't seem to come up with a date of manufacture.

It's a standard Guard Marked Mark 2. On the guard it is stamped
    Camillus N.Y. USN Mark 2. it's the pinned model.

Is there any way to figure out when it was made. The Scabbard I have been able to pin down to 43/44 but I am uncertain if the knife and scabbard came together or if they were cobbled together.

I have done a serious amount of hunting prior to asking but I'm not coming up with anything.
    Thanks in advance

Mike

Hi Mike, is your knife the thin or thick pinned pommel? I think it should be thick pinned pommel if it is guard marked. The very first Mk2's were made by Camillus and had a screw nut at the pommel, that was short lived and redesigned with the pinned pommel early in WW2.

Your set is "correct". The early Mk2's came in the leather scabbards with USN marking. There really is no way to tell 65+ years later if your knife and fiberglass Mk2 scabbard has been together all this time......but the set is "correct"

Regards, Steve

I'm not sure if it's thick or thin. But this is a picture of it. This Knife, my 45 automatic and my silly little flashlight are my favorite WWII items.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Camillus Mark 2 Fighting Knife: Date of manufacture?  

Default Re: Camillus Mark 2 Fighting Knife: Date of manufacture?

Quote by Pompa Mike View Post
    I'm not sure if it's thick or thin. But this is a picture of it. This Knife, my 45 automatic and my silly little flashlight are my favorite WWII items.
    Hi Mike, looks like it's a thick pommel. There is not much difference unless you have them both together to compare. It's a nice condition knife you have. I have many, many silly little things I love also

Regards, Steve

Default Re: Camillus Mark 2 Fighting Knife: Date of manufacture?

Steve, So with it being guard marked and thick pommeled would you know more or less when it would have been made?
    Isn't is silly that I like my 43/44 flashlight? I have a Surefire that is super bright but it goes through batteries like crazy, but that little world war two flashlight just keeps going and going. Collecting this stuff is a fun little hobby.

Mike