Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Canadian Dress Sword

Article about: Hey cats... I scored this today, and blades are not my bag. Can any of you swordsmen tell me anything about this? I seriously appreciate the help... ScB

Default Canadian Dress Sword

Hey cats...

I scored this today, and blades are not my bag. Can any of you swordsmen tell me anything about this?
    I seriously appreciate the help...

ScB
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Canadian Dress Sword   Canadian Dress Sword  

Canadian Dress Sword   Canadian Dress Sword  

Canadian Dress Sword   Canadian Dress Sword  

Default Re: Canadian Dress Sword

It look to be a British 1892 Pattern Infantry Sword, carried by officers of all infantry regiments except those styled as Scottish or Rifle regiments, who had their own pattern. It's marked with the cypher of King George V (I think), so period is 1911-1936. It has the dress sheath, a leather version was used with the Sam Browne belt. It has standard, generic blade decoration - officer's could pay extra for fancy decoration including their name or whatever, but this seems to be an 'off the shelf' type.

A nice weapon

Rob

sweet.

It is consistant with the story I received. The soldier was with Canadian Militia, and enlisted with the 39th Norfolk Rifles, went to England, then the 39th was disbanded to strengthen other Canadian units. The soldier then enlisted with RFC and flew Sopwith Camels till the end of hostilites.

I really hate to be this guy, but... do you have an idea of worth? Is there maybe a site out there that I could get an idea? Blades are really out of my scope...

I appreciate the heads up on this one Rob...thanks for taking the time

ScB

Could this be the 1897 pattern..?

Quote by SatansCabanaBoy View Post
    Could this be the 1897 pattern..?
    Indeed it is the 1897 type hilt. The change was a minor modification, if I remember right? I have seen them called both.
    The history you mention makes sense. It's certainly a peacetime soldier's weapon, with the full dress sheath, and pre-WWI Canadian Militia service makes perfect sense.
    Values are really not my bag at all...

Rob

Still...thanks for getting me pointed in the right direction. I appreciate the time dude.

ScB

Nice sword,I can only ad that J R Gaunt & Son also made high quality military and civile buttons.
    |<ris
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Don't know if they'll give you much more information (they certainly don't give value's!!) but you could try Sword Forum International - The Front Page
    cheers
    |<ris
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Thanks Kris...I'll have a look.