Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Cut down bayonet Rangoon May 2 1945

Article about: Hello All, as you know I don't collect edged weapons but they seem to accumulate. I was contacted out of the blue from someone I had dealings with before who had found the item below in a re

Default Cut down bayonet Rangoon May 2 1945

Hello All,
    as you know I don't collect edged weapons but they seem to accumulate.

I was contacted out of the blue from someone I had dealings with before who had found the item below in a relatives house.

It looked interesting so I decided that I must add it to my accumulation especially with the tentative Rangoon battle connection.

The relative served in Burma during WW2. I was interested in the chrome work which I assumed was applied to prevent rust.
    The decoration just below the hilt looked unusual but was perhaps put there to hide any military markings.

What do you edged weapon folks think?

Cut down bayonet Rangoon May 2 1945Cut down bayonet Rangoon May 2 1945Cut down bayonet Rangoon May 2 1945Cut down bayonet Rangoon May 2 1945Cut down bayonet Rangoon May 2 1945Cut down bayonet Rangoon May 2 1945

All the best
    Doug

?

Doesn't look like chrome, from the looks of it someone replaced the grips with lead, easy to work with allows for easy decoration. edit oh the chrome on the blade, not sure what that is

The artwork is hiding a makers mark, Howa Jyuko Nagoya, i believe.

Interesting piece and I would believe the Burma connection as it has the look of an "ethnic" modification, such as might happen in Burma or India, and most likely produced as a souvenir for Allied troops.

Thank you for all your replies.
    That throws some more light on to the piece.
    The quality of the chrome plating that is lost is reminiscent of those chrome kurtis that you quite often find as a souvenir piece.

The aluminium plates that have been attached to the wooden handle grips and engraved look as though they have been fitted forever.

Martin...does this mean that the bayonet is an old Jap one rather than a cut down British piece?

Thanks again all,

Doug

Yes, i believe that this is a cut down Japanese bayonet. I also agree with Mr. Anderson in that this bayo was more than likely repurposed as a souvenir for the troops. A interesting piece, thanks for sharing.

Mart
    Last edited by Martin C; 02-23-2019 at 02:09 AM.

Agree with many. It is definitely Japanese Type 30 bayonet cut-down. The owner apparently attempted to deface the Japanese maker's mark by the design. There were some pretty bad feelings toward the Japanese in that part of the world. Can't blame them for feeling that way.

The original markings make this a bayonet (now a knife) manufactured by Howa Jyuko under Nagoya supervision. While I am sure there are many, I have only seen one of this type of knife made by a US Soldier or Marine. I have that one that I will post when I have time.

Cut down bayonet Rangoon May 2 1945