Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Cut down Garand or Springfield bayonet?

Article about: I removed A LOT of the bogus paint. I tried to be extra careful... but I'm thinking that this scabbard was painted over in the first place because of the amount of dings, scratches and scrap

Default Cut down Garand or Springfield bayonet?

This bayonet came into our recycling facility with a load of garbage. What exactly do I have on my hands here?

Default Re: Cut down Garand or Springfield bayonet?

Yes, looks like a gvt. cut down bayonet, with a Springfield (?) bayonet.

Agreed. 1905/42 pattern WW2 Springfield bayo thats been cut down at sometime, maybe for use as a trench knife perhaps? The blade was originally 16" long.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    Agreed. 1905/42 pattern WW2 Springfield bayo thats been cut down at sometime, maybe for use as a trench knife perhaps? The blade was originally 16" long.

Regards, Ned.
    Thanks for the responses, gentlemen!

I'm hoping it was cut down during WW2. The handle and portion that fit over the muzzle of the rifle are really worn and are showing considerable age. The blade is considerably more shiney and appears to have been sharpened recently.

Is the color of the scabbard correct? It's kind of metallic copper in color...

Also, this bayonet attaches perfectly onto my M1 Garand movie prop. Do they use the same lug system?

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    The handle and portion that fit over the muzzle of the rifle are really worn and are showing considerable age. The blade is considerably more shiney and appears to have been sharpened recently.
    If the blade has been in the scabbard since the end of the war, its understandable that it would be in far better condition as its had protection from 70 odd years of lying around, unlike the handle.

Thanks

Danny

that is a brilliant bayo how can someone just throw it away

tom

Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

I'm not seeing any other markings... only AFH, a flaming bomb, and US. I'm afriad any other markings may have been lost to the pitting...

Quote by talltom View Post
    that is a brilliant bayo how can someone just throw it away

tom
    Thank you very much! The bayonet looks very sharp in person. Maybe someone feared their kids would get their hands on it and threw it out? I really have no idea how this thing ended up in the trash.

Can someone tell me what it's worth?

in terms of value springfields 16" goe up to £150 garand goes to about £90 so somewhere between

tom

Quote by talltom View Post
    in terms of value springfields 16" goe up to £150 garand goes to about £90 so somewhere between

tom
    Wow! That much?! Even in this condition?

it all depends on if someone wants to pay that much might knock a bit off and at the same time add bit on because its odd

tom

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast