Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Enfield made for Queensland Police then Australian use P1907 Bayonet

Article about: Hello everyone, I just picked up this interesting P1907 Bayonet. It started life at RSAF Enfield in 1910 made on contract for the Queensland Police and originally had a hooked quillon. From

?

Default Enfield made for Queensland Police then Australian use P1907 Bayonet

Hello everyone,

I just picked up this interesting P1907 Bayonet. It started life at RSAF Enfield in 1910 made on contract for the Queensland Police and originally had a hooked quillon. From what I understand it was then impressed into Australian Military service in 1942, having the hook quillon removed before being factory thorough repaired with new Slazenger handles in Lithgow in 1956.

The bayonet would have originally been issued with a SMLE rifle, scabbard and frog all with matching Q^P 326 serial. The Queensland Police bayonets and rifles are quite rare as I believe less than a thousand were made and marked. Whilst the scabbard is an Enfield, unfortunately it doesn't have the Q^P marks on the throat or the FTR marks so was probably paired recently. If anyone has the matching scabbard or rifle there is a good home waiting for it here

There was a member on another forum who had details of the Queensland police stations that these were issued to but I don't think he's been active for a number of years.

The search continues for an un molested Q^P bayonet.

Any comments welcome.

Alex

Enfield made for Queensland Police then Australian use P1907 BayonetEnfield made for Queensland Police then Australian use P1907 BayonetEnfield made for Queensland Police then Australian use P1907 BayonetEnfield made for Queensland Police then Australian use P1907 Bayonet

The Queensland Police marking

Sold out of service marking

Rather sloppy FTR markings R - 56 <

Slazenger markings

4md
    ?

Nice one, iv seen Queensland Police rifles but never the bayonets

?

Thanks 4md. The unmolested bayonets look far better with the hooked quillon and bright blade but sell for about as much as the rifles. At least this one didn't cost me too much. I've never seen one of the rifles and would love to get my hands on one.

?

Real nice find! These bayonets were used and reissued so many times, it's gonna be hard to find one in all original condition. Finding these one is pretty rare. I would be tempted to replace the grips with a more period correct set.

Jim

?

Thanks Jim, I am happy to have found this one. Finding one in original condition has been my holy grail of bayonets since I first saw one in person about a year and a half ago. Since then I've handled two (which weren't for sale) and seen two more for sale on the net (wasn't quick enough to get them). Most of the ones that were retained by the Police didn't see much use and were held in storage until they were sold off in the 80's-90's so I haven't given up hope yet. The problem is most if not all are now held by collectors who wont sell them.

Alex