Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

French Model 1874 Gras bayonet

Article about: Was given this by my father, he was told it was an French Model 1874 Gras bayonet (thanks again for the correction) and thought I'd share.

Default French Model 1874 Gras bayonet

Was given this by my father, he was told it was an French Model 1874 Gras bayonet (thanks again for the correction) and thought I'd share.

Default Re: 03 Springfield bayonet

That is a French Model 1874 Gras bayonet not a Springfield.

Agreed: Not a Springfield bayonet.

But the web frog could be German.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Oh wow, I stand corrected. Thank you very much for clearing that up! Man, I really learn a lot at this site.

Default Re: French Model 1874 Gras bayonet

French bayo as Richie says.

Indeed, the frog does not belong with it. Looks like
    it could be DAK ( Afrika Korps ).........
    Regards,

Steve.

Hello boys been a while.
    Sorry to correct you but it is in fact a Mod 1892 Berthier bayonet. The Lebel Rifle which was adopted after the Gras was not a popular rifle because of its tubular design magazine. Rounds loaded in behind each other caused accidents (Bullet tip strikes on percussion caps of rounds in front) Bullets go off in the soldiers face. The Berthier was a magazine fed rifle which was more conventional ie box type which proved to be a favourite with french troops in the Trenches who were equipped with them. The Lebel was still in service.

The Mod 1892 bayonet was designed for the new rifle. There are two patterns 1st and 2nd. The difference being the muzzle ring thickness, 15mmm in 1st pat and 19mm in 2nd pat.

This bayonet was also adopted by the Polish Army and called the WZ92.

I hope this helps

Regards

Jim

The bayo is for the Berthier carbine for mounted troops-the Berthier long rifles used the same cruciform 'knitting needle' bayo as the Lebel rifle-the tube magazine was not suited for reloading whilst on horseback so the Mannlicher magazine system with clip loading was used in the original M1892 Berthier carbine and subsequent models-these remained in use through WW1 and 2 and indeed long after with the French police-were also used by the Germans after 1940 when they captured the French arms stockpile which may explain the non standard frog (but that may just be 'passage of time' and folks mixing up equipment in error).
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture French Model 1874 Gras bayonet  

Hello,

can you show the frog a little bit better?

OP hasn't posted anything in nearly 2 years, so I would not 'hold your breath' as we say in English.

nice, i have a couple of those. although one has a damaged and repaired tip.