Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help ID bayonets!

Article about: Hey guys, Went to the surplus shop yesterday, saw this for sale \\$50 scabbard is there too. The only marking are a "P" (inside a circle) and 1941. These marking are located on the b

Default Help ID bayonets!

Hey guys,

Went to the surplus shop yesterday, saw this for sale $50 scabbard is there too. The only marking are a "P" (inside a circle) and 1941. These marking are located on the beginning part of the blade, right above the hilt. I apologize for my failure in blade analogy! There is also an F5 with what looks like these private stripes above it

Army Private Stripes | Medals of America

My apologies for the bad pics, but it was my dads blackberry that I was using :P So what is this bayonet, and is $50 canadian dollars a good price? The knife is for sure a bayonet, but the button and spring are missing.

Help ID bayonets!Help ID bayonets!

?

Default Re: Help ID bayonets!

Last edited by ph3s; 08-24-2011 at 07:34 PM.

?

Quote by ph3s View Post
    looks like british no.5 carbine one.

http://www.bayonet.lv/ru/articles/UK/i/No5b.jpg
    for 50 backs I would get it and try to upgrade, 1941 production is a desirable piece (at list for a bayo collector) For instance I paid for my no.5 1944 £120 couple of years ago

The No.5 bayo wasn't in production in 1941, started in late 1943 onwards-suggest you misread the date-'P' marking is for the Poole Royal Ordinance Factory-the 2 rivets in the handle are for a later production type(the 1st models only have 1)-is there a scabbard for the bayo?

?

Quote by lithgow View Post
    The No.5 bayo wasn't in production in 1941, started in late 1943 onwards-suggest you misread the date-'P' marking is for the Poole Royal Ordinance Factory-the 2 rivets in the handle are for a later production type(the 1st models only have 1)-is there a scabbard for the bayo?
    yep, lithgow is right, kinda got overexcited forgot to check the digits and riverts, my bad

Thanks for the quick answers guys. When I looked at it, it really seemed like 1941, but the last digit was worn out, It could have been 1947? Yes lithgow, the scabbard was there. So if its later production is it not ww2?

Not many were made after 1945-contracts were cancelled and the No.5 rifle itself ceased production in 1947-the bayo and rifle did remain in service for many years after that however-a good example of the bayo is worth AUS$300 + here and parts are still fairly easy to get including Indian ones as they also made the bayo in the 50s at the Ishapore arsenal and still make replica examples. CAN $50 seems reasonable.

PS -Attached are 2 pics of my ROF Poole example.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help ID bayonets!   Help ID bayonets!  

Last edited by lithgow; 08-24-2011 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Add pictures

Thanks lithgow, beauty examples. Ill go back and check the date next time. So if it is marked P it isnt Ishapore, right? I dont want to end up with a cheap one in my hands. will the missing locking button and spring hurt that value much?

Missing parts will be a major reducer of value but as said can be replaced but will still affect the value-as anyone who looks at the site can see, collectors are pretty obsessive about these sorts of things being all original!-Ishapore production mark is 'RFI'.

Thanks Lithgow. I think I might pick it up in the next week.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast