Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

I.D. Bayonet ??

Article about: Hoping I can successfully post a photo so someone might be able to help me identify a bayonet that's been in my family for a number of year.

Default I.D. Bayonet ??

Hoping I can successfully post a photo so someone might be able to help me identify a bayonet that's been in my family for a number of year.
    I.D. Bayonet ??

Hello RCrosby Welcome to the forum! Looks like a K98 with frog and scabbard in good condition. A blade expert will correct me if I'm wrong. Do the numbers match blade to scabbard if so that's a nice plus? Best regards.

Brian

Looks like an early war wood grip k98 german bayonet to me. Post pics of any markings please.

- - ------- - -

Beaten by 1 minute

Got u cuz! Good to hear from you brother!

Brian

Thanks for the prompt replies, guys. Sunday looks busy for me, but I'll get some close-up photo's of any marks I can find in the next day or two. On one side of the blade near the "hilt" (?) is "S/155G" and on the reverse, the number 7712. Scabbard is in the leather at the moment but there are the numbers "1" and "2" on opposite sides of the scabbard at the very top. Possibly matching the last 2 digits of the 7712? I'd always thought it all matched though all I can say with certainly is that nothing has been altered or switched in the 60 plus years it's been in the family. I also noticed a stamping on the back of the leather but it's hard to read. The date "1940" is clear.
    Thanks again. Talk to you soon.

So from what you've told us the number codes indicate the bayonet maker is E.& F. Horster, a Solingen maker, dates from 1935. The scabbard is of the early style (screw at front) used in WW1 and Weimar period and Horster may have been still using old stock up in 1935. If the numbers don't match the blade, then it's not a pair. The frog is typical of period and correct.

?

Hello

have a look here:
    http://k98.free.fr/

cordially
    Didier