Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

ID British Regimental Markings

Article about: Hi I have just purchased a 2no new British bayonets both with regimental marking stamped on the pommel which I could do with help to Identify which regiment/training core they are. Shortened

Default ID British Regimental Markings

Hi I have just purchased a 2no new British bayonets both with regimental marking stamped on the pommel which I could do with help to Identify which regiment/training core they are.

Shortened Yataqhan bayonet which was used by the cadets training pommel marking are. V (over) C.C.2.SK.31

Pattern 1888 Mk2, pommel stamped I.Y.B.D.9

Thanks Alan (UK)

ID British Regimental MarkingsID British Regimental Markings

[QUOTE=Alan UK;1349429]

Pattern 1888 Mk2, pommel stamped I.Y.B.D.9

Hi Alan, an educated guess would be that IY is for Imperial Yeomanry. Formed in 1899 for the 2nd Boer War the IY was formed from existing Yeomany Regts and the individual companies of each Bn retained affiliation to their parent units to which they returned when the IY was disbanded in 1908, taking the battle honour "South Africa" with them to these units. As to what the BD9 represents I couldn't say but the 9th Bn was made up of companies from Welsh Yeomanry regiments named for Denbighshire, Montgomeryshire, Pembrokeshire and the Welsh Yeomanry so maybe the 9 at least is a Bn number?

As for the other I think you are correct that CC is for cadets but otherwise I don't have a clue except that I have seen SK to represent Skelmersdale before

I hope this gives some food for thought

Mark

?

You really have to understand the structure of the military ranks of the time frame, Sometimes you can make abbreviations fit one way, but then find out that there aren't that many companies or battalions. It can all be very confusing, especially when not all regimental markings conform to regulations.

If you don't have a copy of Skennertons, here is an on-line resource I find very helpful:
    Markings on British and Commonwealth Bayonets

Jim

Thanks Jim, Mark for for the information which as been helpful. Icame across a paper back book some years ago at an arms fair which had almost all the British Regimental marking in it but I was collecting German Inperial bayonets at the time.
    Thanks again alan

Thumbs up

Quote by Alan UK View Post
    Thanks Jim, Mark for for the information which as been helpful. Icame across a paper back book some years ago at an arms fair which had almost all the British Regimental marking in it but I was collecting German Inperial bayonets at the time.
    Thanks again alan
    Hi Jim, Mark
    I have managed to find out the full regimental markings with your help they are.

Shortened Yataqhan bayonet V (over) C.C.2.SK.31-: Volunteer Cadet Corps Suffolk

Pattern 1888 Mk2, pommel stamped I.Y.B.D.9-: Imperial Yeomanry Bedfordshire

Regards Alan