Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M1 Garand short Bayonet

Article about: I bought this bayonet today from a friend. He has had it for some time and he knew I liked it. He called me up today and asked me if I wanted to buy it. Nothing like buying a WWII item to ge

?

Default M1 Garand short Bayonet

I bought this bayonet today from a friend. He has had it for some time and he knew I liked it. He called me up today and asked me if I wanted to buy it. Nothing like buying a WWII item to get rid of the winter blues. Gary
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 Garand short Bayonet   M1 Garand short Bayonet  

M1 Garand short Bayonet   M1 Garand short Bayonet  

M1 Garand short Bayonet   M1 Garand short Bayonet  

?

Thumbs up Re: M1 Garand short Bayonet

You can't beat that!!!
    If I got this right, Its a 1905 made by Springfield armory and shortened by Union Fork and Hoe!
    The throat of my scabbard on my PAL M1 is is painted green also . I wonder why on some converted M7 scabbards the throats were painted???
    I was thinking about stripping it off, but since seeing your's painted I'll just leave it alone.

Default Re: M1 Garand short Bayonet

what kind of money are the un cut ones going for now?......

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    You can't beat that!!!
    If I got this right, Its a 1905 made by Springfield armory and shortened by Union Fork and Hoe!
    The throat of my scabbard on my PAL M1 is is painted green also . I wonder why on some converted M7 scabbards the throats were painted???
    I was thinking about stripping it off, but since seeing your's painted I'll just leave it alone.
    I think they were painted OD to cut glare. They were originally darkened or
    parkerised weren't they ?

Regards,

Steve.

The shortened blades needed shortened scabbards. Many had seen great use and were in need of work. Paint is easy.

?

AZPhil you should post bayonet.
    Willyslancs I have seen them for 100.00 US and up.

Hi Gary, a whicle back I saw in the Garand Collectors Association magazine a great article on these. Your M7 scabbard is not one of the converted ones. It's an original made for the cut 1905's The modified ones were straight at the top below the throat, where they cut them off. Your's is angled at the top below the throat. I'm sure your's also originally had wood grips since it was produced in 1920. Great bayo with character.

Take care,
    Jay

?

Hi Jay thanks for info . Now allI have to do is get my Dads M1 from him

That would be sweet! Ammo is expensive but worth every round you get to shoot.