Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M3 Fighting Knife With No Grooves in the Handle

Article about: Hello, I recently acquired an M3 fighting knife, blade-marked “US M3 UC 1943”, but the strange thing is that the leather washer handle has no grooves at all. The end of the pommel is stamped

Default M3 Fighting Knife With No Grooves in the Handle

Hello,
    I recently acquired an M3 fighting knife, blade-marked “US M3 UC 1943”, but the strange thing is that the leather washer handle has no grooves at all. The end of the pommel is stamped with the flaming bomb, and has two pins securing it to the tang. It does not look like it has been messed with, but is definitely vintage. I can’t find any pictures of a similar “no grooved handle” M3 on the net. Has anyone seen such an M3 knife before? Is my knife legit?

Greetings Tarfu43,

I'm no M3 Trench Knife expert, but I do have two helpful recommendations. One, post a picture of the knife you are discussing as that will garner more interest/responses here and secondly, (once you have a picture or two) post it on this forum as well EDGED WEAPONS - U.S. Militaria Forum There are many more M3's enthusiasts on the linked forum, that simply do not frequent this forum.

Best,

Lance

Quote by MilitariaOne View Post
    Greetings Tarfu43,

I'm no M3 Trench Knife expert, but I do have two helpful recommendations. One, post a picture of the knife you are discussing as that will garner more interest/responses here and secondly, (once you have a picture or two) post it on this forum as well EDGED WEAPONS - U.S. Militaria Forum There are many more M3's enthusiasts on the linked forum, that simply do not frequent this forum.

Best,

Lance
    Here’s some pics of the noted knife.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M3 Fighting Knife With No Grooves in the Handle   M3 Fighting Knife With No Grooves in the Handle  

M3 Fighting Knife With No Grooves in the Handle  

Greetings,

In my opinion, it is an original Utica made M3 Trench Knife with a replaced (read: non-factory made) handle. No self-respecting cutlery company would have considered the knife finished without contouring the grips in order to better fit the hand (I'm not talking about the missing grooves, just Google "Kutmaster M3" to view what the contouring of a factory finished smooth leather handle looks like). With the noticeable corroded/rough condition of the metal pommel, my assumption is the knife's original grooved handle was ruined due to moisture/rot and as such, one of its previous owners decided to replace the handle. The leather washers that were used remain the same diameter throughout the length of the handle, which is a primary clue that this handle's replacement was not accomplished at any cutlery factory. Hope that answers your question on originality, as for value, I don't do valuations.

Best,

Lance

P.S. Thank you, for adding the photos, this is a one-looker/no-brainer with the fine images you have provided.
    Last edited by MilitariaOne; 03-23-2018 at 01:20 PM.

Kind of what I figured. It would have been nice if it was some rare variation, but I still think it’s an interesting piece. Thanks, much, for the analysis. I do appreciate it!