Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

M4 Bayonet Markings.

Article about: Hi all, I bought an Aerial M4 recently, is it usual for these bayonets to be maker stamped on the handle side of the cross piece? most of the photos I have seen on various sites has them sta

Default M4 Bayonet Markings.

Hi all, I bought an Aerial M4 recently, is it usual for these bayonets to be maker stamped on the handle side of the cross piece? most of the photos I have seen on various sites has them stamped on the blade side. Mine is a later plastic handled type and is in good condition with an M8A1 scabbard which I think is correct for this type.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M4 Bayonet Markings.   M4 Bayonet Markings.  

?

Default Re: M4 Bayonet Markings.

M4's were marked on the cross guard facing the blade, so cross guard is reversed on this one. Likely arsenal refurbished or put together from refurbished parts at some point. See link below

Bayo Points 17
    Regards,
    John

Thanks John, my concern was that it might be a fake but apart from the cross guard issue it looks and feels right plus its a good fit on my M1 Carbine.

A WW II vintage bayonet, my experience with the plastic gripped versions (separate and apart from the legitimate post WW II examples) is that they have in fact been rebuilt. Seemingly in two major groups, with perhaps 130,000 or so that were U.S. armory rebuilt in the early 1950's. Usually seen with the (leftover from WW II) M8A1 scabbard having a B.M. Co. upper locket marking. Or perhaps a 1950's vintage M8A1 with the V.P. Co. marking, and no lower metal fitting to protect the bottom of the scabbard. With an unknown number of others also arsenal reworked, but sometimes not to the same standard, and most likely much later. Regards, FP

Thanks FP, I realised that my M4 was post WW2 and I bought it as such, my M1 Carbine is a late model possibly just post war so I thought the two would make a nice Korean War era pairing, yours and Johns comments about it likely being an armoury rebuild is reassuring and I'm happy that it appears to be the genuine article.

Thanks for your input Guys.