Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Machete made by Martindale

Article about: Hi, mates ! Many yrs. ago I got this machete, made by Martindale. Stored it in an old ammo box together with some junk bayonets and forgot about this blade ... As far as I know, such british

Default Machete made by Martindale

Hi, mates !

Many yrs. ago I got this machete, made by Martindale.
    Stored it in an old ammo box together with some junk bayonets and forgot about this blade ...

As far as I know, such british machetes were used in World War One, later, in World War Two, and, also, post WWII.

It seem´s I have a WWII machete, together with a post WWII sheath ?

The sheath is marked:
    P.I. 1952
    "Broad Arrow"
    K.E. 3513

The blade´s marked with a croc, REGISTERED below, and,
    MARTINDALE, "Broad Arrow" below.

The rivets are made of brass.

It seems, the sheath is overpainted in green.

Does anybody knows the meaning of the coloured markings upon the grip and the sheath ? ...

What´s the meaning of the red, and, green strip upon one of the grip plates ?

What´s the meaning of the 8 T P ?

What´s the meaning of the number 50 ?

What´s the correct designation of this, particular, pattern british machete ?

Thx. in advance,

R.
    Machete made by MartindaleMachete made by MartindaleMachete made by MartindaleMachete made by MartindaleMachete made by MartindaleMachete made by Martindale

Machete made by MartindaleMachete made by MartindaleMachete made by MartindaleMachete made by MartindaleSome more images:

I would suggest "8 TP" would be No. 8 Troop.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I agree with Ade. Just for reference, here is a pic of one of mine with similar markings, although mine stands for 11 PLATOON. Cheers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Machete made by Martindale  

Thx. a lot !

Such machetes were in use also in the Korean War ?

British Army Korean War Martindale Machete-1952 - Field Service Antique Arms

Now I´m searchin´ for the correct designation rgd. this, particular, pattern british Army machete.

Best,

R.

Sorry Reibert but I cannot help you on the official designation front. I think that the seller stating Korean War may have been more of a reference to the date than any actual service in Korea. While some may well have made it over there, it is far more likely that it saw service in one of Britain's post- war counter- insurgency campaigns as we were withdrawing from the Empire, for example Malaya and Kenya.