Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Mistake or fake? Unusual Stampings on M5A1 Bayonet, What gives?

Article about: So I picked up this M5A1 Bayonet at a gun show this past weekend. It is a MILPAR COL with out the DAS. So Ive been researching and discovered that this one could have been made on a contract

Que
    ?

Question Mistake or fake? Unusual Stampings on M5A1 Bayonet, What gives?

So I picked up this M5A1 Bayonet at a gun show this past weekend. It is a MILPAR COL with out the DAS. So Ive been researching and discovered that this one could have been made on a contract to support another country or for the Surplus market, or even produced after the use of the DAS ceased. The back cut appears correct for a US contract built bayonet from MILPAR. Here are some pics...see anything out of the ordinary?

Mistake or fake? Unusual Stampings on M5A1 Bayonet, What gives?Mistake or fake? Unusual Stampings on M5A1 Bayonet, What gives?Mistake or fake? Unusual Stampings on M5A1 Bayonet, What gives?Mistake or fake? Unusual Stampings on M5A1 Bayonet, What gives?Mistake or fake? Unusual Stampings on M5A1 Bayonet, What gives?Mistake or fake? Unusual Stampings on M5A1 Bayonet, What gives?

I've noticed that the US M5A1 and the MILPAR stamp are stamped on the wrong side of the guard. When viewing the US M5A1 Stamp the stud should be on the left and the "1" should be on the side of the sharp edge. Here is a side by sid of my bayonet and an image from the internet....

Mistake or fake? Unusual Stampings on M5A1 Bayonet, What gives?Mistake or fake? Unusual Stampings on M5A1 Bayonet, What gives?

I have not found another one like mine anywhere. Has anyone seen this before? Is this a mistake or a fake?
    Actually just found another one here will I was waiting for the images to upload ( US M5A1 MILPAR COL BAYONET FOR M1 GARAND For Sale at GunAuction.com - 9530949 ). Any Ideas?

Que
    ?

So, nobody has anything to add at all? Very Strange.

?

I appreciate that the member who posted this hasn't been active since 2015 however I came across this post whilst researching a M5 bayonet and happened to have the answer at hand.

As per Bayo Points 5 Columbus Milpar sold off their machinery and remaining parts to a commercial surplus company probably Century Arms who assembled bayonets using the parts and when they ran out they made their own parts or used other parts from M5A1, M6 and M7 bayonets to make fantasy items.

Commercial made bayonet with Century Arms made guard.