Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My Bastard Blades

Article about: Gent's, Michael asked in his thread for me to post my blades I made. I did these over 20 years ago. So let me introduce you to my Bastard Blades. Made from Bastard files. The Big Bastard was

?

Default My Bastard Blades

Gent's,
    Michael asked in his thread for me to post my blades I made. I did these over 20 years ago.
    So let me introduce you to my Bastard Blades. Made from Bastard files.

The Big Bastard was my first attempt at using this type of file. Due to the groove depth while heat treating/hardening, the inside of the groove became brittle. The blade broke at the tip and in the middle on me when I stuck it into a piece of wood. Heart broken from putting in days/weeks of work on this, a welder buddy at work welded the blade back together. Those are the two distortions on the blade. I dremeled the groove back in on the welds and left it at that.. This blade is made from electrical parts. The hand guard is off of a big rheostat arm and the end cap is made from a wire bus attachment used to join multiple wire to one terminal. The wrap is a twisted pair of stainless safety wire.
    My Bastard BladesMy Bastard BladesMy Bastard Blades

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

After doing the one above. I thought I should try again. This time I did the orentaion of the grooves in the opposite direction I also put clay in the grooves while heat treating/hardening. This did the trick. Turned out perfectly Hard and Sharp. This one I decided I also wanted the design of the bastard file side to show the teeth of the file. I used black walnut and cut a slot in the handle and shaped the tang to fit the handle. It is backed up with a brass rod and then a brass rod/pin is put thru the handle. The is under my Maker mark. The 'H" with the sword hand guard forming the - in the H. That was made with twisted silver soldered wire and then hammered flat. I guess you can see where the idea of the shape of the handle comes from

Gent's , My Little Bastard:
    Click to enlarge:
    My Bastard BladesMy Bastard BladesMy Bastard BladesMy Bastard Blades

My Bastard Box with scabbards made from conduit that I flattened and welded the end. Not the pretties job ,but they work.
    My Bastard Blades

I hope you enjoy looking at my Bastards as mush as I enjoyed making them.

Semper Fi
    Phil

MAP
    ?

Holy cow. Those are beautiful! Love the pattern on the second one.

I'm going to nominate you to appear on "Forged in Fire"!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Yeah I was very pleased with the second one. I made my mistakes on#1 and thought out #2. I like the teeth showing under the clear coat. Added that cool look.

Thanks for the compliments Michael. This was over 20 years ago maybe even 26 years now I think about it. It was before my first son was born. I have a friend at work that just got his ABS certificate and he keeps asking if I want to get back into making them. He said my blades I had showed him years ago is what got him interested in the Hobby. He just got the power hammer and forge up and running. Who knows maybe I will!

Semper Fi
    Phil

MAP
    ?

Go over and watch. Before you know it......
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Well made knives! I had to google why the are called this, which was also an education for me.
    Nick

Amazing, Phil!
    Please help an ignorant. Why are these knives so called?
    Today the forum is full of surprises for me. Phil you are a true metal and weapons smith craftsman !!!

Quote by TABSTABS1964 View Post
    Amazing, Phil!
    Please help an ignorant. Why are these knives so called?
    Today the forum is full of surprises for me. Phil you are a true metal and weapons smith craftsman !!!
    How did bastard files get their name?

It seems likely to be one of these explanations.

Quote by HoundsTooth View Post
    How did bastard files get their name?

It seems likely to be one of these explanations.
    For trivia buffs: In German heraldic terminology, the "barre sinister" device mentioned in that link is actually called a Bastardfaden (literally "bastard's thread").

?

Thanks Gent's for the compliments.
    In reality, I just wanted to type BASTARD several times to get the Mod's looking!!
    LMAO!!!

When I found these old files at a swap meet, I didn't know what they were called. I liked the pattern.
    But when I did find out, I said Oh hell yeah. I'm making these into blades and name them as such!!
    Take care
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast