Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

My Family of British and American Folders

Article about: Hi all. Just thought I would share with you a group photo of my WW2 Folding knives. Most you are probably familiar with but a couple may be less so. Left hand column, top to bottom: WW2 Type

Default My Family of British and American Folders

Hi all. Just thought I would share with you a group photo of my WW2 Folding knives. Most you are probably familiar with but a couple may be less so. Left hand column, top to bottom:

WW2 Type with knife, can opener and spike. This came out of my grandfather's shed, so may well have been issued to him during his national service in the RAMC Circa 1948. Very pitted but can just make out markings: /|\ 1941 Richards Sheffield.

Same as above. Given to me by a veteran of the Royal Welch Fusiliers who was at Kohima, although his memory is going and he could not remember if he used this knife, but it seems plausible. Maker is SSP 1941.

Example with just knife and can opener. Made by Taylor 1940.

Same as above but with lanyard ring. Made by Warriss 1940.

Right hand column top to bottom:

US Aircrew folding knife. Saw this monster on ebay when they were still selling knives and had to have it! Allegedly this was found in Italy. It also has a saw blade but most of it has broken off as is quite common on these knives. Made by Colonial.

WW2 AM marked knife from RAF Escape kits. I have taken a close up of the markings. I was really chuffed to find this at a bootsale!

WW1 type jackknife Made by J. Rogers and Sons and is marked W/|\D on the spike.

Late War all metal jack knife, made by SSP 1945.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Family of British and American Folders   My Family of British and American Folders  

My Family of British and American Folders   My Family of British and American Folders  

Default Re: My Family of British and American Folders

Nice knives! I used to collect these (still do I suppose, just don't go looking for them now) and have a shed load of 'em, mostly British but one or two from other nations. I find them fascinating things!

By all means feel free to post some Would be good to see some different varieties.

If I did it'll be quite a boring set of pics!! Most of them look very similar other than the makers marks!!

I've got some of them pictured on my website before I lost interest in taking the pics them and putting them up on it (very time consuming!!).

Link for the pics...

Military Knife Index Page...

Thats a cool site. I see what you mean about not wanting to post pics lol

Very cool :-) I was very much missing my long gone Brit folder with marlin spike and not so long ago finally picked up another one, dated 1944. Mostly for utility reasons, because a few times a year stacking/tarping straw I have to undo many knots and nothing does it like a marlin spike. Since then I also picked up an odd possibly Italian navy copy of the British knife, a Coricama, but it isn't quite the same in fact and it is ridiculously stiff to open. The 1944 version is much nicer, and I may just have to use it instead.

This is it here, with a buckle received the same day.