Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Need Help Identifying Swords Family Gave Me

Article about: Hello there, My father recently gifted me these two swords and I'd like to learn more about them and assess if they should be insured or simply stored away. Imgur: The most awesome images on

cdavis0614
    ?

Default Need Help Identifying Swords Family Gave Me

Hello there,

My father recently gifted me these two swords and I'd like to learn more about them and assess if they should be insured or simply stored away.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Need Help Identifying Swords Family Gave Me Need Help Identifying Swords Family Gave Me

If you need any more images of the swords, please let me know.

He stated that one was from the Civil War, and the other a WW1 Naval Officers sword. But I want to be certain specifically what they are.

Some cursory research led me to learn that the Civil War sword is a William Walscheid sword. But the other I'm coming up empty.
    Last edited by Larry C; 08-05-2016 at 12:48 AM.

CBH
    ?

I believe the black one is a British sword , 1850's era . Welcome to the forum .

Tall one 1860 Italian Cavalry Saber, maybe? Better photos would help. Welcome to the Forum!

Mart

The smaller sword comes from Weyersburg Kirschbaum & Cie "WKC"

The Knights head logo is a very early type..which I can not date. This short cutlass is not Third Reich period..but all original.

WKC was established in 1854

Produced Theatre play weapons, Theatre decorations, Deluxe weapons., fencing weapons , axes , letter openers and can openers. These items listed are their business wares prior to 1933. After 1933 the were contracted to produce for almost every branch of service for Germany during the TR period.

The closest I can come to finding a close match to the early Knights head is this combination of a King and Knight by WKC
    There were 6 Weyersburg families producing Edged weapons and other cutlery . WKC was the only family that used the Knights head

Need Help Identifying Swords Family Gave Me ( Photo credit GDC )

A more recognizable Knights head is this widely seen variant.

Need Help Identifying Swords Family Gave Me ( Photo credit GDC )

Looks like 2 nice pickups . I dont know the value and would be best to research further or wait for more thoughts and opinions on both of these swords.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill