MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Need help with WWI 1907 pattern lee enfield m1 mk3 bayonet

Article about: Hey guys, I was wondering if you guys could help me with this bayonet. It is in rough condition and needs to be cleaned up. I was wondering if anyone had a formula or something to clean it w

Default Re: Need help with WWI 1907 pattern lee enfield m1 mk3 bayonet

i need to ask... why do you want to clean it? what good will it do? just leave it alone. cleaning is NOT preserving!

?

Before using wire wool and oil, try leaving it in white vinegar for a day or so, it will remove any grime and ingrained dirt and may give it an uplift without resorting to abrasives

I have tried that. I had left it in a tub of vinegar and it did nothing but dirty the vinegar. Is it that I had to pour a little on, let it sit for a day like you said and then wipe the crap off?

Take a look here http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Australia...item5641f77299 for some Nos grips.
    Hangarman

?

leave it for a little longer in a tub, the dirty vinegar proves its working

I do not believe this is a 'battlefield relic'. It appears to have been left in poor
    storage conditions in someone's basement, attic or garage.

It's really not worth a whole lot as it is, without a scabbard - and especially
    with no grip panels, IMO. Have you actually tried wiping it down with a
    rag and some 3-in-1 oil as suggested ? You'd be amazed at
    how it 'cleans up'.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by davejb View Post
    Before using wire wool and oil, try leaving it in white vinegar for a day or so, it will remove any grime and ingrained dirt and may give it an uplift without resorting to abrasives
    Thanks for saying this, it is clearing up and I found the issue year. The only problem is that the 1st number is pitted beyond belief and the 2nd number the top part is pitted. If there is another way of finding out when this was issued because I would love to know (like if the inspection markings have a date on them). But thanks again davejb.

?

Well if its the date the first number can only be a 1, what are the last two numbers

Quote by davejb View Post
    Well if its the date the first number can only be a 1, what are the last two numbers
    I know what you are saying but this is not true. This bayonet was produced from 1918 (I think that was the year) all the way up to WWII.

?

I'm afraid i dont understand what your saying, the first number for the date has to be a 1 , which your saying is unreadable, the second number is also unreadable but can only be an 8 or 9 and more than likely a 9, so it will be from 19 something ????

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast