Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

New Acquisition: US M3 Case Trench Knife

Article about: Hello Friends, I recently acquired this "US M3 Case" trench knife. It is in fairly good condition especially for what I paid. Both the knife and scabbard are in very good condition

Default New Acquisition: US M3 Case Trench Knife

Hello Friends,

I recently acquired this "US M3 Case" trench knife. It is in fairly good condition especially for what I paid. Both the knife and scabbard are in very good condition I think. Here are several issues. The knife has been resharpened but is fairly decent. You can see the original sharpening up near the ricasso and then the new resharpening. I do not know why people do this. It has an 8 leather washer handle with 7 grooves. It seems that many I have seen have talked of 6 or 8 groove handles and I have seen a lot of these but I have been seeing some 7 groove. Several of the leather washers are cracked and separating form the handle. I am wondering if it would be good to use a little super glue to fasten the washers back together? The cross gueard is a little loose also. The blade is nicely marked "US M3 Case". I believe the pommell is marked with a small flaming bomb ordinance mark.

The scabbard is in very good condition. The clasp is in tack. It is an early model with no wire hanger. It is marked "USM8" with "BM Co" on the throat. It is also marked under the one cross guard "B-N" wit a "2" under that marking. The plastic tip is excellent. On the back of the web hanger someone has printed what I believe to be "D-8341" or "D-8344" I cannot make it out. I do not know what this could be for.

Please take a good look and respond with comments and advice.

Thanks,

William

New Acquisition: US M3 Case Trench KnifeNew Acquisition: US M3 Case Trench KnifeNew Acquisition: US M3 Case Trench KnifeNew Acquisition: US M3 Case Trench KnifeNew Acquisition: US M3 Case Trench KnifeNew Acquisition: US M3 Case Trench KnifeNew Acquisition: US M3 Case Trench KnifeNew Acquisition: US M3 Case Trench KnifeNew Acquisition: US M3 Case Trench KnifeNew Acquisition: US M3 Case Trench KnifeNew Acquisition: US M3 Case Trench KnifeNew Acquisition: US M3 Case Trench KnifeNew Acquisition: US M3 Case Trench KnifeNew Acquisition: US M3 Case Trench KnifeNew Acquisition: US M3 Case Trench KnifeNew Acquisition: US M3 Case Trench KnifeNew Acquisition: US M3 Case Trench KnifeNew Acquisition: US M3 Case Trench KnifeNew Acquisition: US M3 Case Trench KnifeNew Acquisition: US M3 Case Trench KnifeNew Acquisition: US M3 Case Trench KnifeNew Acquisition: US M3 Case Trench KnifeNew Acquisition: US M3 Case Trench Knife

"D-8341" or "D-8344" is probably service member's first initial last name and his last 4 digits of his dog tag or service number. I have both a blade marked and guard marked M3 case; the guard marked one has a similar though less issue with its grip.

Nice knife. The maker Case frequently did not adhere to the washer spacing standards. You will see them with several combinations of washer spacing. They were not the only make to do this but far more common to do it. The scabbard is a very nice early type I without hanger. They are no longer very common. Great find.
    John

Any advice about trying to repair/prevent further damage to leather washers?

Thanks,

William

In a word; "don't". I think any attempt at repair would look worse than what you've got. The leather has probably shrunk as well so closing the gap is not likely to be possible.

I am on the other side of the fence from Anderson be it good or bad the debate will continue forever. I would apply some Connelly Hide Care or Blackrock in a very think coats several times or a month or two to help prevent further deterioration. A chip brush will get into the grooves but never apply very much at any one time. It will not bring the leather back but will prevent it getting worse IMHO.
    John

Nice find. M3 trench knives are not as common or as cheap as they once were.
    Personally, I would not mess with the grip. I tried once to clean and treat the leather
    washered handle of a KaBar. It never looked correct after messing with it.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    In a word; "don't". I think any attempt at repair would look worse than what you've got. The leather has probably shrunk as well so closing the gap is not likely to be possible.
    The washers have not shrunk. They are still fairly pliable and easily squeezed together. That is why I was wondering about trying to glue them. I had a piece of the top, plastic washer actually fall out so I had to glue it back in but you cannot see the glue. I really do not need to do anything as it will just be locked away with the other "treasures".

Thanks to all,

William

In pictures 11 & 12 you can see my greatest concern.. In picture #11 at the right top, the plastic washer next to the cross guard is missing a large chunk. Not sure when it fell out. #12 lower left shows the plastic washer at the pommel. You can see a small piece that I did glue back in as it fell out on me. I wish I would have found the large piece at the other end.

Thanks,

William

Nice mk2 i believe, id leave it as is.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast