Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

No.5 MkII S294/W.S.C.

Article about: Hi, mates ! Received this No.5 Mk.II bayonet, manufactured by W.S.C. Sadly, the bayonet is heavilly polished, (maybe to remove corrosion pits ?) ... What do you think is the value of this, p

Default No.5 MkII S294/W.S.C.

Hi, mates !

Received this No.5 Mk.II bayonet, manufactured by W.S.C.
    Sadly, the bayonet is heavilly polished, (maybe to remove corrosion pits ?) ...

What do you think is the value of this, particular, bayonet in this condition ?

Was this bayonet manufactured in WWII ?

Thx. in advance,
    R.

No.5 MkII S294/W.S.C.No.5 MkII S294/W.S.C.No.5 MkII S294/W.S.C.No.5 MkII S294/W.S.C.No.5 MkII S294/W.S.C.

Production on the #5 didn't start until 1944 and ended in 1947. Reibert, check out worldbayonets.com-The Collector's Edge: Online Bayonet Reference and you will see that your bayonet does not match the early bayonets. I believe that yours was produced after 1944. I'm not sure when they made the changes in 1945. It could still be WWII era, I just don't know enough about these. Not sure on a price, I know the #5 bayos are rare here in the states.

"WSC" is Wilkinson Sword Co.-all their production was war time, remembering the No.5 rifle was intended for jungle warfare in the Far East-last Wilkinson contract was let in March 1945. Postwar production was by ROF Poole.

Thx. !

Is the frog wartime or repro ?
    Does it compare to such pattern bayo ?

What´s about the value of my bayonet in it´s condition ?

Thx. in advance,
    R.

You'd expect to see the lightweight Pattern 44 frog being used rather than a Pattern 37 dated 1943-value I don't know-as you said, it's pitted and has been scrubbed clean, so it will only be a fraction of a good one-Wilkinson made 183,000 of them, the most common of the war made bayos.

Thx. !

It's got an Enfield stamp on the crossguard, it's not something I've come across before on a No.5. I wonder if it's been reworked or inspected or something by the RSAF at some stage in its life?

Quote by Time Bandit View Post
    ... I wonder if it's been reworked or inspected or something by the RSAF at some stage in its life?
    Hi !

What do you mean with "RSAF" ?

Royal Small Arms Factory-Enfield-another common abbreviation is ROF: Royal Ordinance Factory. like ROF Poole.

PS-usually repro webbing equipment is much softer and more flexible than actual service stuff, which was made to last under harsh conditions.
    See here for details on P37 stuff Pattern 1937 Web Equipment

Thank you !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast