Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

NO4 MK1 Cruciform Bayonet

Article about: Hi all. Picked this up the other day from what was essentially a pawn shop. Although I have not handled one of these scarce bayonets before from what I have researched online it appears corr

Default NO4 MK1 Cruciform Bayonet

Hi all. Picked this up the other day from what was essentially a pawn shop. Although I have not handled one of these scarce bayonets before from what I have researched online it appears correct. Blade has an oval shape to it rather than the round cross section of later NO4 bayonets. The markings appear to be correct and it feature the SM41 mark on the release button. I have read that some are found with an electro- stencilled inspectors mark on the blade but mine appears to be missing this. Any comments would be appreciated. Cheers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture NO4 MK1 Cruciform Bayonet   NO4 MK1 Cruciform Bayonet  

NO4 MK1 Cruciform Bayonet   NO4 MK1 Cruciform Bayonet  

Could be the beginning of a fine collection, as these are small and plentiful to find in UK. All usually nicely marked and not expensive to purchase.

Certainly the later models of NO4 bayonet are plentiful, however the MK1 cruciform model is scarce to find and there are numerous fakes. Only 75,000 of the MK1s were made by the Singer company.

Quote by Spitace41 View Post
    Certainly the later models of NO4 bayonet are plentiful, however the MK1 cruciform model is scarce to find and there are numerous fakes. Only 75,000 of the MK1s were made by the Singer company.
    Cracking find!

Almost as rare as the Sten bayonet!
    Yes you are correct that these are scarce and like the triangular section version few were made and they were discontinued on the grounds of their distasteful nature. There is a possibility that they may have been outlawed by the Geneva Convention anyway (no such worries for the Soviets with the cruciform Nagant rifle bayonet). For any who do not know the idea behind a cruciform or triangular bayonet is to cause a wound that is very difficult to close and which will not heal without surgical intervention thus increasing the scope for infection in the field thus placing great strain on enemy resources not to mention morale. The British felt that this was just "not cricket"!

A very collectible piece. Well found.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

The photos aren't the best but there's no immediate red flags. The way to be sure with these is the tip. The modified Mk II ones have a shorter blade to compensate for the flat tip when the are made into a cruciform. The originals will be the same length as the Mk II but will have a slight roundness to the tip.

Alex
    NO4 MK1 Cruciform BayonetNO4 MK1 Cruciform Bayonet

Luckily there was a standard MKII there as well so I was able to compare the two side by side for some time. They knew what they had but I still think I paid an OK price.

Quote by Alex W View Post
    The photos aren't the best but there's no immediate red flags. The way to be sure with these is the tip. The modified Mk II ones have a shorter blade to compensate for the flat tip when the are made into a cruciform. The originals will be the same length as the Mk II but will have a slight roundness to the tip.Alex
    Good info!
    A point to note which may aid understanding for the unititiated is that the cruciform blade was not forged as a cruciform but as a circular spike into which the fullers were milled. For the authorities this process meant it was plausible to explain the deletion of the fullers as a cost saving measure through eliminating a complete manufacturing process thus avoiding any controversy over "sensitivity" surrounding the aforementioned unpleasant " untreatable wound" concept at such a point in history!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

A good find, well done!
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

"... cause a wound that is very difficult to close and which will not heal without surgical intervention thus increasing the scope for infection in the field thus placing great strain on enemy resources not to mention morale. The British felt that this was just "not cricket"!""

Not just cruciform and triangular spike profile bayonets can be accused of this, other types for example "T" section blades such as with the Gras bayonet, Dutch M1895 are rather nasty in this regard. In fact the original round cross section of the No.4 bayonet was probably equally an issue if anyone noticed.

I can't help but think that while the idea of banning "inhumane" blade shapes was well intentioned, at the end of the day, if you get a big bit of metal stuck in you its going to ruin your day whichever way you slice it. (No pun intended)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast