Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

No5 Bayonet by Poole

Article about: I couldn't pass on this, even though it's been messed with, \\$30 for a Poole was too good a deal. The odd thing is the US stamp on the ricasso where the bend mark should be. Was this another

Default No5 Bayonet by Poole

I couldn't pass on this, even though it's been messed with, $30 for a Poole was too good a deal. The odd thing is the US stamp on the ricasso where the bend mark should be. Was this another way of marking a surplussed item out of inventory? The push button is minssing, and they put the screws back in opposite, but otherwise it's in good shape.

No5 Bayonet by PooleNo5 Bayonet by PooleNo5 Bayonet by PooleNo5 Bayonet by PooleNo5 Bayonet by Poole

Default Re: No5 Bayonet by Poole

Can you tell me what the last digit is on the date stamp, assuming you can make it out ? If its RSAF Poole then its a post war example. The 'US' stamp is a mystery...........U.S. was and I asume still is an accepted term for 'unserviceable' in the British forces and I assume in other English speaking armed forces (I am ex-RAF and it was a common term) but I never (during 12 years service from 1976 to 1989) saw it stamped or engraved or otherwise permanently marked on any piece of equipment which was either condemmed or sold out of service, it appears to have been applied after the original manufacturers mark though......just my guess.

I checked again, and actually, there's no number after the 194, it's been left blank. There is a crows foot and X on the guard, under the US. Here we either deadline or redtag something that's no longer servicable, marking it US would just mean it was ours twice over I tried to get the lighting right to show the markings on the guard, but they still came out rather faint. The crows foot is under the U and the X is to the left of the S There is still remnants of the green protective coating as well.

No5 Bayonet by PooleNo5 Bayonet by Poole

4md
    ?

nice pick up for 30 bucks, iv never seen a jungle carbine bayo for a better price.

I was talking to a dealer friend today and he mentioned that a lot of SMLE MkIII and Lee Enfield No4 rifles were imported to the USA in the 1960's by a firm which sporterised them and made them into No5 replicas, perhaps some No5 bayonets were imported at the same time and stamped up with the US mark.

Anyway, I agree its a good price for a No5 bayonet even if it is a bit 'messed' with, they are usually available here in the UK at militaria fairs for around the £150 mark but are hard to come by at any price.

I was very lucky to find a wartime example recently with the 'Radcliffe' dispersal code for £125.........they don't come along at that price very often.

I see a few Ishapore No5s around now and again, but not many Brit No5s. I have a Wilkinson that is complete, and is still in the green protective coating, I think I paid $130 for that one. I was just looking in one of my Enfield books, and it doesn't have a number manufactured for Poole, only says unknown. I didn't think Poole made that many of these, or the No7s. Plus I was happy to see the price, he had it for $65, but talked himself down to $30 pretty fast, I like deals like that lol

There are still a few of the messed with No1s and No4s around. People see a bolt handle with a hole in it and automatically assume it's a No5. An American rifle dealer was making some No5 look-a-likes from the Ishapore No2, they left them in the original 7.62x51 cal. they were selling them as a "stow awat" type rifle that you could put in your vehicle or boat and have it in case. There were so many, they did alot of things to them. There was a company that shortened a bunch and called them "tanker" rifles. I wish I would have picked one up when they were around, just to have something different.