Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

P07 British/Australian issue Sanderson Bayonet - No crown mark?

Article about: Hello fellow collectors, I have had this beautiful P07 bayonet for a while now and have always been sure that all British manufactured weapons of this time consist of a stylized crown (the s

Default P07 British/Australian issue Sanderson Bayonet - No crown mark?

Hello fellow collectors,

I have had this beautiful P07 bayonet for a while now and have always been sure that all British manufactured weapons of this time consist of a stylized crown (the style of which changed over time) above the initials of the reigning monarch. I fail to see any royal crown or initials on this example. This would make sense if it was a foreign made P07, but it's a Sanderson with other British markings!

This example appears to have been originally issued in 1918 - and refurbished in 1936 - (It's stamped 36 over 18). Condition is excellent, which is why I am doubtful that the crown mark has worn down over time as opposed to not being marked in the first place. Interestingly, there is a H stamped on the steel between the wood handle and a 3 engraved into the wood handle itself
    (sorry pics didn't quite show this well). I have no idea what these marks indicate. The F stamp on the ricasso is also a bit of a mystery - I can't find much meaning to this; possible French mark, British inspector?

Any ideas on this one? There are plenty of marks on it - Anything that may end the mystery? Thanks!
    Kind regards,
    Chris
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture P07 British/Australian issue Sanderson  Bayonet - No crown mark?   P07 British/Australian issue Sanderson  Bayonet - No crown mark?  

P07 British/Australian issue Sanderson  Bayonet - No crown mark?   P07 British/Australian issue Sanderson  Bayonet - No crown mark?  

P07 British/Australian issue Sanderson  Bayonet - No crown mark?   P07 British/Australian issue Sanderson  Bayonet - No crown mark?  

P07 British/Australian issue Sanderson  Bayonet - No crown mark?  

Greetings Chris,

I don't believe there is any mystery about the crown's marking. I went to the Sanderson example posted here
    1907 Bayonets - Arms - Great War Forum and cropped that blade's ricasso and your's together in the picture below. Yours appears to have been refurbished (and remarked) in 1936 and may of had some grinding/polishing done by the armorers who worked on it. If you look at the red lines you can see where some of the crown's original lettering on both matches up quite nicely. I believe your bayo was initially crown marked and lost it's markings (some of them like the crown proper) whilst it was being refurbished. Yet, there's enough remnants present to make a viable compassion. Just my 2Cts.

Regards,

Lance

P07 British/Australian issue Sanderson  Bayonet - No crown mark?

Quote by militariaone View Post
    [SIZE=4] If you look at the red lines you can see where some of the crown's original lettering on both matches up quite nicely. I believe your bayo was initially crown marked and lost it's markings (some of them like the crown proper) whilst it was being refurbished. Yet, there's enough remnants present to make a viable compassion.
    Excellent forensic work!

Thanks for your help, my eyes only ever saw scratching there but that comparison pic is great! Appears to be remnants of GB initials. I should have considered the possibility of the mark being almost completely worn off during sandblasting or what ever harsh treatment the old blade got! Many thanks for your help!

Kind regards,
    Chris