Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

A really nice WWII USMC Kabar with scabbard, but with a really sad story from my marine friend John.

Article about: The particulars on these items, using Cole as a resource, is that this is a Second Type model Kabar with the early, threaded, thick butt. It has USMC stamped on one side of the blade and Kab

?

Default A really nice WWII USMC Kabar with scabbard, but with a really sad story from my marine friend John.

The particulars on these items, using Cole as a resource, is that this is a Second Type model Kabar with the early, threaded, thick butt. It has USMC stamped on one side of the blade and Kabar Olean N.Y on the other side. The knife itself is in gorgeous condition except it was left in the sheath for 60 years and the blued finish was removed by the tannic acid in the leather. The blade iitself s still so sharp I could probably shave with it. The sheath is USMC BOYT 43 marked and is in perfect condition except for the name Tony Rossi marked in the sheath using dots made by the tip of a nail. But this is where the sad part of the story starts.

John met Tony Rossi in boot camp and they became best friends almost immediately. They were inseparable during basic training and shipped out to different units and different islands in the pacific. While either on Iwo or Roi-Namur, John received a letter from Tony asking if he might be able to get a combat knife for him as he desperately needed one and they were in short supply. John was able to “acquire” this knife and as a surprise, marked Tony’s name in the sheath and mailed it to him. A few weeks passed and the package was returned, as undeliverable due to recipient being KIA. John put the knife in his sea bag and it didn’t see the light of day until he gave it to me. John still deeply mourns the loss of Tony to this day.

A really nice WWII USMC Kabar with scabbard, but with a really sad story from my marine friend John.A really nice WWII USMC Kabar with scabbard, but with a really sad story from my marine friend John.A really nice WWII USMC Kabar with scabbard, but with a really sad story from my marine friend John.
    Last edited by rambob; 08-14-2011 at 10:03 PM.

Default Re: A really nice WWII USMC Kabar with scabbard, but with a really sad story from my marine friend John.

Thanks for sharing this and the story.

Cheers, Ade.

Default Re: A really nice WWII USMC Kabar with scabbard, but with a really sad story from my marine friend John.

Nice early manufactured knife, with hard to find USMC Boyt scabbard.
    Sad story...
    I have one too, minty, with unmarked scabbard..but my USN Mk2 has USN Boyt 43 scabbard, and care card!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Thanks for sharing this and the story.

Cheers, Ade.