Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Sanderson 1907 SMLE bayonet

Article about: Just got this bayonet, I was wondering if anyone can tell me about the scabbard, its mint and appears marked HGR17. I thought at first it might be Mangrovite. Plus whats the the difference b

?

Default Sanderson 1907 SMLE bayonet

Just got this bayonet, I was wondering if anyone can tell me about the scabbard, its mint and appears marked HGR17. I thought at first it might be Mangrovite. Plus whats the the difference between frog studs, this one is round, I am more used to a tear drop shape.
    Thanks in advance for any replies.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sanderson 1907 SMLE bayonet   Sanderson 1907 SMLE bayonet  

Sanderson 1907 SMLE bayonet   Sanderson 1907 SMLE bayonet  

Sanderson 1907 SMLE bayonet   Sanderson 1907 SMLE bayonet  

HGR - Hepburn Gale and Ross. Leather makers of Bermondsey South London.

?

Thanks Richie
    Is the 17 the year and do you think its refurbished as condition is very good apart from a few scratches.
    Thanks again Neil

It looks to me like the bayonet is dated January 1909, as there is a 1 and a 9 underneath the 1907, and this is where I would expect the date to be. However, it could also be an 8, and there could also be a partly stamped 1 next to that, thinking about it I think it more likely to be January 1918 as I think the year code should have two digits.

Edit, it cant be 08 or 09 because its marked GR and George V came to the throne in 1910, so I would go for 1918. 1917 could well be the manufacturing year for the scabbard.

?

I would also opt for 01 18 i.e September 1918 as there do's look like the remains of a something before the 8 and a 0 would be more visible than a 1.
    I would still be interested if anyone knows if the scabbard is refurbished.

?

Not sure it's worth noting, but my 1913 Pattern P14 Bayonet has a round frog stud.

1907 scabbards with the tear drop are ww1, the round frog stud was ww2. It may have been refurbished during the war with that throat piece. With as long as these have been around, and by how many other countries used them, it's possible it was refurbished somewhere along the way and then was taken very good care of, or put away and not used after. The scabbard is in really nice shape, I almost thought mangrovite too when I saw it. most of mine are pretty rough looking, soaked in cosmoline or just not maintained over the years.

NCA
    ?

I've been led to believe that the brown scabbards are much more scarce than the black ones.It seems most were blackened with boot polish or dye...Very nice.