Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

scabbard "government issued" or "commercial" ?

Article about: Hi mates ! I do have some questions regarding this particular scabbard. Is this an "commercial", or, an actually "GI-issued" one ? Is this a scabbard, manufactured in WWI

Default scabbard "government issued" or "commercial" ?

scabbard "government issued" or "commercial" ?scabbard "government issued" or "commercial" ?scabbard "government issued" or "commercial" ?scabbard "government issued" or "commercial" ?scabbard "government issued" or "commercial" ?scabbard "government issued" or "commercial" ?scabbard "government issued" or "commercial" ?
    Hi mates !

I do have some questions regarding this particular scabbard.

Is this an "commercial", or, an actually "GI-issued" one ?

Is this a scabbard, manufactured in WWII, or ist this an Korean-War, or, Vietnam-War Army- bayonet scabbard ?

Hard to read the maker, (?), inside of the press button: STIMPSON BAHLEN. ?

Thx. in advance,

R.

?

Default Re: scabbard "government issued" or "commercial" ?

G.I.. Post W.W.2. For plastic grip M-4,M-5,M-6,M-7 bayonets. Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

Thx. !

The mark inside the press button means correctly "BKLTN.", not "BAHLEN."

Cheers,

R.

BTW, this scabbard came together with an commercial M4 bayonet, made by KIFFE, JAPAN

P.S.:
    Found this:

Bayo Points 18
    Last edited by Reibert; 01-18-2011 at 06:29 PM.

?

The plastic molded section of your M8A1 Scabbard was produce by Victory Plastics, they also manufactured the canvas/ cloth impregnated section of this and other scabbards of the same construction during WWII.

Nige.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

U.S. military issue, the M-8 scabbard and some of its successors have something of an interconnected history. Originally made by the Beckwith Manufacturing Company in the New England area (northeast - U.S.) there was a name change with the opening of a new plant in 1942 to Victory Plastics. With the steel parts subcontracted to a local company that specialized in metal stamping. Wartime scabbards are marked B.M. Co., with V.P. Co. seen on the postwar scabbards made with steel tips. With WD then seen on scabbards made using V.P. parts (also without). There is also a variant VIZ, and VIZ/WD, and still later PWH. With even later PWH and TWB marked versions made using a shortcut by omitting some reinforcing webbing. As for the tie strap snap connectors they were almost certainly subcontracted as well, but are not something that I’ve looked at closely. FP

Thx. !

Reibert, I omitted a piece of information that I would like to correct. The steel scabbard tips were approved very late in 1955, with production most likely not starting until 1956. With that version of the V.P. scabbards actually being scarcer than the earlier versions which did not have the steel tips. FP