Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Spanish Sword?

Article about: Hello I believe I have a Spanish sword here, but I am not sure. I have taken several photos of the sword, and would like to know if anyone thinks it is real and authentic or a replica or rep

?

Default Spanish Sword?

Hello
    I believe I have a Spanish sword here, but I am not sure. I have taken several photos of the sword, and would like to know if anyone thinks it is real and authentic or a replica or reproduction. I beleive it is authentic because on the handle there is discoleration on the spots that a person would hold a sword the discoleration is a result of the acid on the hands of of the sword handler. Also on the hilt there seems to be hammer marks where maybe the hilt was shaped by a hammer. That is just my opionion. I will really appreciate any responses.
    Thank-You
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Spanish Sword?   Spanish Sword?  

Spanish Sword?   Spanish Sword?  

Spanish Sword?   Spanish Sword?  

Last edited by camry; 04-29-2010 at 02:08 AM.

Default Re: Spanish Sword?

any marks or letters on the blade?

I have a feeling that this is a repo...but I'm no pro...

?

the blade has a considerable amount of petina on it, but I think I was able to see small crown on the middle of the blade, the crown seemed like it was engraved.

?

I also think there may be some writing on the sword

?

I think the blade is unsharpened also.

?

If anyone needs any more pictures of the sword I can add them

Hi Camry, well no one else had really jumped on this so I'll give you my two cents worth. I don't know alot about authentic period swords, but I have bought my share of repros in Spain. I strongly suggest it is a repro. It's more of a rapier than a sword because of the hilt. The bottom side of the pommel shows that it is poorly cast, with uneven marks. The coat of arms is I believe a very generic French mark. Still looks cool.

Take care,
    Jay

See the raised sections on the bottom "handle side" of the pommel in this picture. IMO you would never see that kind of poor quality in a period piece.
    Attached Images Attached Images Spanish Sword? 

Quote by sitges1990 View Post
    Hi Camry, well no one else had really jumped on this so I'll give you my two cents worth. I don't know alot about authentic period swords, but I have bought my share of repros in Spain. I strongly suggest it is a repro. It's more of a rapier than a sword because of the hilt. The bottom side of the pommel shows that it is poorly cast, with uneven marks. The coat of arms is I believe a very generic French mark. Still looks cool.

Take care,
    Jay
    Hey guy's
    defenetly a repro! And a recent one.
    Repro's have been made sinds the early 19 th century but thise one is 15 to 20 years old to me.
    It is indeed called " Rapier", however thise one shows some "fantasy's" in the true sence of a rapier.
    Sorry to decieve you.
    cheers
    Kris
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris