MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Special Operations knife

Article about: Recently acquired this knife and paperwork and am wondering if any members on here have seen one. It came with paperwork which appears relate to the division concerned as opposed to the knif

Default Special Operations knife

Recently acquired this knife and paperwork and am wondering if any members on here have seen one.
    It came with paperwork which appears relate to the division concerned as opposed to the knife.
    I have found an article written by Gary Boyd that appears to mention a dagger like this, and have also spoken to a collector (well established in this field) who know of this knife and another version with micarta type handles.
    Both apparently come with the same paperwork.
    Any help of input with this would be much appreciated.

Maurice.

Last edited by harley90; 07-31-2014 at 06:13 PM.

Greetings Maurice,

I have never seen a knife quite like the one you have posted. Having read the posted Tactical Knives’ article, I am rather at a loss as to what exactly you have. Many knife companies will work with various military service members (e.g. Gerber Knives) to create niche designs, which appeal to various organizations’/units’ likes or needs. That said, I believe the knife you have posted may have been used as a unit’s award or as a gift of service (read: going away “PCS” present) in that particular MI organization.

I put this theory forward because, the last thing you would want on any carried military knife is a unit’s designation; as there is no point in providing the enemy that info if the knife is lost or the individual carrying it is captured (especially so, in the case of an MI Unit). There are plenty of contemporary military units, which currently present unit named Kabars, Western Bowies, FS Knives, and multi-tools with the unit’s name or logos upon them and that is what I believe you have in this knife’s case.

The unit’s mission statement and lineage/honors’ copies also point toward a method of linking the knife with the unit in terms of a “presentation” as some sort of award or recognition to a service member serving in that unit. Sometimes, a medal is not warranted for performance of duty, but something more needed besides the presentation of a unit’s coin, so in that vein a unit marked knife fits the bill of honoring someone’s performance nicely. Just as well, the knife may have been presented along with a service medal, or a unit’s coin as an extra bit of panache for the ceremony.

I most definitely do not believe the knife in question is some sort of secret squirrel black operations special airborne commando’s type knife as the “Special Operations” name on the knife may imply to someone not familiar with what an MI unit actually does. I'm not looking to poo poo the knife, just to add some perspective from someone who has served in the U.S. special operations community. Thank you for taking the time to post your knife.

Regards,

Lance

Quote by harley90 View Post
    Recently acquired this knife and paperwork and am wondering if any members on here have seen one.
    It came with paperwork which appears relate to the division concerned as opposed to the knife.
    I have found an article written by Gary Boyd that appears to mention a dagger like this, and have also spoken to a collector (well established in this field) who know of this knife and another version with micarta type handles.
    Both apparently come with the same paperwork.
    Any help of input with this would be much appreciated.

Maurice.
    An interesting item, though outside my area of knowledge.

One thing though, please use the forum uploader and not an outside photo hoster.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Appreciate the input on this. The article that was posted in Tactical Knives describes a similar knife and the way it is marked.
    Either way, happy to own it.
    The article was in an issue of Tactical Knives, and was written or compiled by Gary Boyd.
    Apologies on the way I posted the pictures……still getting the hang of this.

M.

Special Operations knifeSpecial Operations knife

?

Looks like a throwing knife to me.

I was thinking the same thing, a throwing or boot knife - it is
    a very inexpensive type of blade, but I find it interesting
    that the TK article identifies a series of knives with
    the same markings - I hope this could be
    one of them.........
    Regards,

Steve.

G'day , I collect knives , your dagger would not be a special ops issue or private purchase dagger sorry ,

It would of been for the collector/retail market , due to the way it's marked .

Still a nice piece .

Quote by Australia View Post
    G'day , I collect knives , your dagger would not be a special ops issue or private purchase dagger sorry ,

It would of been for the collector/retail market , due to the way it's marked .

Still a nice piece .
    Appreciate that, but don't understand why an internet search doesn't come up with more information if it was a commercially produced item for the collector.
    Especially when you can't even break wind without it ending up on the internet…..
    Either way I'm happy with what it is, so all's good.

I agree with the previous people.
    It's a release of a knife factory or something like that,
    no army issue knife.