Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

sword ?

Article about: hi i have a sword about 31 inches overall length and it looks like a 9 t markings anybody have some imput thanks [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG] pictures are with scabbard on

?

Default sword ?

hi i have a sword about 31 inches overall length and it looks like a 9 t markings anybody have some imput thanks [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG] pictures are with scabbard on

Default Re: sword ?

I would think this is probably Egyptian 19th C . Originally under Ottoman rule Egypt had a crescent and single star as a flag, and also had the Eagle of Saladin as a national emblem. Your sword has a crescent and star plus an eagle head pommel so hence my guess. Added to that, it is the typical shape of a scimitar from that part of the world.

?

Quote by thinreadline View Post
    I would think this is probably Egyptian 19th C . Originally under Ottoman rule Egypt had a crescent and single star as a flag, and also had the Eagle of Saladin as a national emblem. Your sword has a crescent and star plus an eagle head pommel so hence my guess. Added to that, it is the typical shape of a scimitar from that part of the world.
    thank you so you think this is legit and not a reproduction or ? and do you know wat the 1 6 marking is or means ?

I dont know what the marking means .. it is surprising to see markings of a European nature instead of Arabic markings , but then again as the Ottoman Empire gradually lost its grip on things later in the 19th C , France , then Britain more or less took over the running of the country , and so the Egyptian Army was ultimately run on European lines and so the arms markings would have been changed too. The marks may be regimental or they may a be rack number unique to that weapon. The French instituted a Royal body guard for the Egyptian king , it was mounted and had medieval style spiked helmets and chain mail and very fancy scimitars ... I think yours might be one of them .. the cockerel's head grip is typically French and dates back to the Revolution. I have never come across repros of this sword ( and generally repros are mass produced and well known ) so there is no reason to beleived that it is not genuine.

?

thank you very much your very knowledgeable. i just wish i could find one on the internet im having a hard time finding info or a positive id on it
    Last edited by toady8; 08-05-2011 at 09:16 PM.

?

any one know where i could find a blade that could fit this a reproduction or any shops online ?

It's way, way, out of my area, but if it's a nickel plated scabbard that says late. And the Star and Crescent could also be Turkey? With my overall sense of it ceremonial, or some other purpose than military, such as a souvenir etc. FP