Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sword Bamboo Canes

Article about: Hi all, Just after a bit of advice. I have been offered 2 Bamboo Canes with a concealed, 6 sided sword inside. I am off to view them this afternoon so can provide more pics. I was just wonde

Quote by edelweiss123 View Post
    The seller also says that they are points/spikes and not blades which makes me suspicious bearing in mind the previous comments.

- - Updated - -

The seller also says that they are points/spikes and not blades which makes me suspicious bearing in mind the previous comments.
    Most nearly always are as a bladed swordstick is too lightweight to go slashing the bad guys with, hence the 'spike' for thrusting with a la fencing stylee. I like the look of the pic's you show and would say that it's worth more than what I previously suggested and could easily see you having to drop a ton or more to get one like this at auction, but best see what others think.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Good news ned! I picked it up for a lot less than a ton. I also bought the Gurkha one which i will get some photo's of. The Gurkha one is of slightly different construction, it is longer in length and the top is of a different shape.

It came from a stick/cane collector. Initially i was suspicious that he had 2, however he had accumulated the collection over many many years which put me at ease a bit more. I like the look of it, it feels "right" if that makes sense. However, i'm happy that for the price i paid for it, if it does turn out to be a reproduction, then its been a learning curve. I'm also happy to hear what others say as i am by no means an expert of such items

Thanks Ned!

I think you can be pretty sure the one above is the real deal, looking forward to seeing the Gurkha one next, you've done well I reckon!
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Ned, Here's the Queens Gurkha Signals one. In all honesty, as it has the post war crown, i don't know if i will be keeping hold of this one. But again, the price was right and i couldn't say no.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sword Bamboo Canes   Sword Bamboo Canes  

Sword Bamboo Canes   Sword Bamboo Canes  

Interesting,for sure! Just be Careful with a capitol "C" when selling them! If a cop talks to you, look cute, pitiful and act totally clueless! You'll be fine! (Women have it Soooo lucky some times...we homely old guys would be tossed into the klink before they even asked our names....lol)
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I found the old thread I made, it was at WAF. These do look similar to mine, I'll post some pics of it later. I had not yet registered as a full member at WAF when I made this thread and so the photos were hosted externally, and thusly obliviated.

SAS Canesword / Swordstick - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

Thank you chaps for the information! Still on the fence due to the mixed responses, but none the less, the information you have provided is great!

Here's an interesting website to look at, hexagonal blades and the use of bamboo appear to be quite usual which in Andy's WAF link says indicates a fake, although i'd agree if the blade were untempered mild steel that would be a problem! Note that there are some sticks that are very similar to the ones shown above and deemed genuine.

About Swordsticks and Sword Canes

I think the hardness of the blade may clinch it. Try running a file over it, if it barely marks it then it's tempered, if it bites enough to mark it noticably it's not. A very simple and basic test I know, but near enough for this instance I reckon.

Quote by big ned View Post
    Here's an interesting website to look at, hexagonal blades and the use of bamboo appear to be quite usual which in Andy's WAF link says indicates a fake, although i'd agree if the blade were untempered mild steel that would be a problem! Note that there are some sticks that are very similar to the ones shown above and deemed genuine.

About Swordsticks and Sword Canes

I think the hardness of the blade may clinch it. Try running a file over it, if it barely marks it then it's tempered, if it bites enough to mark it noticably it's not. A very simple and basic test I know, but near enough for this instance I reckon.
    Cheers Ned. Just got James to run a file over it as no1, i dont know where it is, and no2, i dont trust myself and can blame him if it goes wrong

It doesn't seem to mark the blade, and after doing the same test to a more modern piece of mild steel, the difference is noticeable. Great website, thanks!

Andrew Jarvis
    ?

I have this sword cane and I want to sell it. Any ideas what I should ask?

Mine is from the SAS but looks very similar to the one in the photo there.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast