Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sword I inherited

Article about: Hello all I am new here. I just inherited a sword that looks to be old, but I can't find anything out about it no matter what I search online. I'm hoping someone here has seen this before or

?

Question Sword I inherited

Hello all
    I am new here. I just inherited a sword that looks to be old, but I can't find anything out about it no matter what I search online. I'm hoping someone here has seen this before or knows something about the mark on the sword. I will attach pics.
    The sword has a small round mark near where the sword and handle meet(sorry for improper terms lol) It is a small circular looks like stamp that inside has POV in capitals. It also has a small engraved image with those letters but I can't make out what it is. The pics don't show the letters but do show the size of the mark. Hopefully will help.
    Down the blade are engravings to midway down the blade. They appear to be fancy scroll and I can make out a crown.
    I hope the pics help as they are not that great. The markings I've described are all I can see. It has an oil of some sort on the blade. I assume to protect it.
    Thanks in advance to all who look and can shed some information on this.
    Angela
    Sword I inheritedSword I inheritedSword I inheritedSword I inheritedSword I inheritedSword I inheritedSword I inheritedSword I inheritedSword I inheritedSword I inherited

Default Re: Sword I inherited

Hi, Angela. Welcome to the Forum.........!

It is a British '1845 pattern' infantry sword. The small round impression on the blade
    near the grip is a proof mark. There may be a Royal Cypher or initials etched
    beneath that crown you saw that will tell the era it was made in, although
    from the button on the tang or pommel, it is definitely after 1845.
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Hi Steve,
    Thanks so much for the information. Best I can tell from research is it might of been made by Providence Tool Company in or around 1861-1863. I found one sword online that looked similar to this one and was for sale at $55,000. I doubt I have something that valuable. But, I'd like to know more about it for sure. It sure meant alot to my Great Uncle. He was 91.
    Thanks all for all your help in advance.

?

One more thing Steve. How would I go about researching this further? Any recommended contacts? I have no idea where to start other than on Google which as I said didn't tell me too much.
    Thanks again =o)
    Angela

It is interesting that there is no motif in the basket hilt, or handguard. I don't believe it is
    an American design - but it could have been copied, or it may have been
    imported for the US Civil War. Though if it were a US martial weapon,
    it should be marked with procurement/acceptance stamps,
    and would not have a crown on the blade.........!

Here is a link to British swords:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gothic_..._1892_Patterns)
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 10-10-2011 at 11:52 PM.
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Thanks again Steve. Great info. Much appreciated. I'm thinking from everything I've seen online, that it may be a copy. Seems the authentics all have an inspectors mark, date and manufactures identifying marks. Strange that this one doesn't is right.

?

I made an error in posting. The mark I speak of is PROV not POV. Sorry for any confusion this may have caused.
    Angela

Lighting is not great, but here are two of mine:

Below an 1822 pattern, and an 1845 pattern above with tang button, the same blade shape,
    and a seemingly identical scabbard - these however, have gilt plated brass
    baskets/guards but steel baskets like yours
    are not uncommon.........
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sword I inherited  
    Regards,

Steve.

'PROV' will be short for: 'PROVED', and should actually be spelt out in the circle.
    Nothing to do with Providence, Rhode Island.........!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sword I inherited  
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 10-11-2011 at 12:15 AM.
    Regards,

Steve.

Under the etched crown you saw on the blade will be a stylised 'VR' or 'GR'.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast