Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Uncle Joe's Knife

Article about: Uncle Joe was in the U.S.Army Medical Corps in WW2. Knife looks to have been used as a hammer and crowbar probably for opening wooden crates of supplies. There are no makers marks on either

?

Default Uncle Joe's Knife

Uncle Joe was in the U.S.Army Medical Corps in WW2. Knife looks to have been used as a hammer and crowbar probably for opening wooden crates of supplies. There are no makers marks on either the knife or scabbard.
    What I find interesting is the "diary" written on the scabbard of the places he was stationed. From top to bottom they read "SYDNEY AUSTRALIA" then his initials in monogram form, then " FINSCHHAFEN"" "NEW ZEALAND" " HOLLANDIA" then surrounding the "US" is "19-42,19-43,
    19-44,19-45" then below this is "DUTCH EAST INDIES" "LEYTE, P.I." "PHILIPPINES"
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Uncle Joe's Knife   Uncle Joe's Knife  

Uncle Joe's Knife  

Well I hope you keep Uncle Joe's knife as it is a piece of family history linked to the Pacific War. Joe seems to have left an honour roll of where he served. First off he is stationed in Sydney Australia, probably a training posting before sent into the war zone. Then he is sent to Papua New Guinea. The Battle of Finschhafen in PNG was in September/October 1943, and was mainly an Australian Army versus Japanese affair though some US unit were there.
    The Battle of Hollandia in March 1944 was about dislodging the Japs from Hollandia, a port on north coast of PNG.
    "New Zealand" no battles there, but the wounded were evacuated to hospitals in New Zealand. Was uncle joe wounded at Hollandia?
    Dutch East Indies, remarkable brevity, obviously the Islands of Indonesia,
    Battle of Leyte, an Island in the Phillipppines occurred Oct-Dec 1944. A full on amphibious invasion of a Jap held island led by MacArthur.
    That knife has seen some action, uncle joe was a medic and probably was in the thick of it. A family heirloom for keeping.

The knife itself is a Cattaraugus 225Q. I believe the Q stood for quartermaster. As you said, this knife was designed for prying open crates and the general labours that a quatermaster, or in your Uncle's case, medic, would encounter.