Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

US Boyt machete - I've never seen one like this before?

Article about: HI All, My father bought this in 1955 to cut down some wild bamboo - he loaned it to a friend and never got it back. A couple of years ago they met again and the friend said " I've stil

Default US Boyt machete - I've never seen one like this before?

HI All,
    My father bought this in 1955 to cut down some wild bamboo - he loaned it to a friend and never got it back. A couple of years ago they met again and the friend said " I've still got your old machete - want it back?" Dad said, No, but my son would love it .... and here it is, barely used and NEVER sharpened!!

Nearly all the ones I see are the bolo type, this is quite different. The overall length is 25" with a 19" blade. There are no markings on the blade but only AB with an arrow over the letters on the wood handle. Quite heavy, this would pack a punch!

Anyone know some history on this type?
    Thanks, Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US Boyt machete - I've never seen one like this before?   US Boyt machete - I've never seen one like this before?  

US Boyt machete - I've never seen one like this before?   US Boyt machete - I've never seen one like this before?  

US Boyt machete - I've never seen one like this before?  

Default Re: US Boyt machete - I've never seen one like this before?

Ron Flook in his book on British & Commonwealth fighting knives records a similar looking machete to yours.

He attributes the machete to Australia but does not have a lot of information.

His example was made by Whittingslowe and is marked D^D.

That's it I'm afraid.

Regards

Richie

THanks Richie - I found another on a knife forum that looks identical but with "Whittingslowe Adelaide" stamped on it.
    Mine has NO stamping other then the AB. And if the Boyt sheath isn't original then it fits like a glove and has been with it nearly 60 years!

A piece to stump the experts I think?
    Cheers, Dan

Quote by Danmark View Post

A piece to stump the experts I think?
    Cheers, Dan
    Dan

Somebody will know - may just take a bit of time

Regards

Richie

Thumbs up Re: US Boyt machete - I've never seen one like this before?

Hi Danmark

That is a lovely find.

Your machete is Australian!!

See Australian Military Knives - Machetes'

So far I have been able to identify 2 makers of these machetes:
    Whittingslowe Engineering and
    Barker Bros

As all of the Whittingslowe Machetes that I have seen are clearly marked Whittingslowe Engineering Adelaide on the left hand side of the blade close to the grip I suspect yours mightr be by Barker Bros. Many of the Barker Bros knives made for the war effort seem to be very weakly marked, as is the Barker Bros machete I have in my collection.

The Barker Bros example that I have is marked on the right hand side of the blade close to the grip. Have a good look there.

Your machete was definitely an issue item as it bears an Inspectors Acceptance Mark, that is the pheon /l\ above AB on the grip.

It is interesting that it is in a US Boyt M1942 machete scabbard. However we have no idea when the scabbard and machete were paired up. Evidently these machetes were available from Disposal Stores in the 1950's and I have seen other examples that came from that source.

I would appreciate it you would send me some images of your machete, particularly close ups of the area where the makers marks might be.

Regards Dutchy

Hi Dutchy, Port Lincoln eh? and that's your website?
    If so, then we have already emailed some months ago ( about the same time I originally posted )
    I have found the Whittingslow mark - so it's not a Barker. Dad recalls it was bought from Kings Disposals in Sydney ( at Broadway, was a HUGE store for years ) so maybe it was them who paired up the two parts for resale???
    Anyway they have been together for longer than they have been apart!
    Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

Never seen a drop point machete before either. Nice one.