Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

US M3 knife with M8 scabbard.

Article about: I have just picked up this knife and scabbard. I am going to move it on hopefully as its not my thing. But before I do, I would like to know if what I have is the real deal as I would hate t

Default US M3 knife with M8 scabbard.

I have just picked up this knife and scabbard. I am going to move it on hopefully as its not my thing. But before I do, I would like to know if what I have is the real deal as I would hate to pass off a dud. Any help in determinining its originality is much appreciated.
    Once I have worked out why I can't post pics in the ad section I will put it there for sale as either real or repro.
    All the best,
    D
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US M3 knife with M8 scabbard.   US M3 knife with M8 scabbard.  

US M3 knife with M8 scabbard.   US M3 knife with M8 scabbard.  

US M3 knife with M8 scabbard.   US M3 knife with M8 scabbard.  

US M3 knife with M8 scabbard.  

Looks fine.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Hi Ade,
    Thanks for that, its a relief. I bought it in a lot and took a chance. I will list in the for sale section shortly. Still cant get the ad's to wotk though. I posted a pic on the forum of the mg breach cover but when putting it into the add section it says its too big... I will get there.
    Thanks once again.
    D

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Looks fine.
    I agree-- all original
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

It's not a dud, I'd like to have it myself. On the pics, per Douglas2936 (correct name?), I started saving some pics to post @ 1600 pixels in width, although that is a rather huge pic. I use anything form 920, 1024, 1280 usually, depending on the importance of the item. File sizes for the smaller pixel widths are in the 350kb range, the larger the 500kb range, all of which upload on the site just fine. I've noticed that un-resized images in excess of 2MB will cause the pics to upload sideways, which is probably why you see this on the site here and there.

It seems this is a WW2-made M8 scabbard that has been converted to M8A1 specification in the 1950's.

?

Very nice knife. I have the exact same one!

From what I've gathered when I was more into U.S. items both are period. With the scabbards from Beckwith Manufacturing Company (B.M. Co.) in the WW II period having a connection to Victory Plastics which made the M8A1 scabbards after the war. With the first B.M. Co. scabbards having no hook attachment for belts. A transition model with the short webbing back piece and the belt hooks sandwiched in/stitched just above the tie straps. A longer webbing back piece using still in stock M8 marked steel mouthpieces. And when they ran out of them, B.M. Co. M8A1 marked steel mouthpieces with the longer back pieces - all during WW II. Best Regards, Fred

Hi Frogprince,
    Excallent info, thankyou for that.
    D

Quote by earlymb View Post
    It seems this is a WW2-made M8 scabbard that has been converted to M8A1 specification in the 1950's.
    I agree, judging by the position of the retainer straps (left over right) and the parkerized hooks.