Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

US M48 Flare Trip found in Hurtgenforest

Article about: hey there.. found this US m48 trip flare in the forest of hurtgen...I tried to restore it as good as i could to give it back its original look......This one was used against the Wehrmacht 19

?

Default US M48 Flare Trip found in Hurtgenforest

hey there..
    found this US m48 trip flare in the forest of hurtgen...I tried to restore it as good as i could to give it back its original look......This one was used against the Wehrmacht 1944/45 as a flare trap.Once activated they had known where the enemy is...Guess they ****ed them up with artillery then....
    Hope its the right section here to post it..

Interesting item-- I'm not familiar with these WWII versions, but when I was a kid in Germany back in the 1970s, I inadvertently set one of those off while walking in the Lampertheim Forest...it was attached to a tree and shot off a flame about 3-4 feet upwards, scared the shit out of me...The US Army regularly trained in the forest and we'd often ride our bicycles out there to trade beer & wine for Military Items and C-Rations...
    cheers, Glenn
    Last edited by bigmacglenn; 03-08-2016 at 08:42 PM.

?

Yes,thats more or less the same.this one is just a different Version and older..
    Damn,my metal detector couldnt stop finding grenade leftovers.....

Better to find Grenade-Leftovers than tons of empty C-Ration Cans!...
    Wishing you continued Good Luck out there...
    cheers, Glenn

?

Need a New metal detector.my is broken wich *****....but i was lucky to Grab some old wehrmacht tubes and inverter engines from old factorys...is there a section here where i can Post engines and tubes?

List it under Equipment, it can always be moved later....looking forward to photos...
    Glenn

?

I will,Thanks for the help.pics will Pop up later

Quote by Hecke View Post
    hey there..
    ...Guess they ****ed them up with artillery then....
    Nice idea but actually not as likely as you might think.

This type of device is usually deployed around a defensive position to give advance warning of an enemy approach (same applies in ambush locations), the idea is to illuminate a predetermined "killing zone" which by definition would tend to be a bit close to your own position for an arty strike to be very comfortable for the defenders
    More likely the area illuminated would be covered by MGs set on "fixed lines" so that the area could be raked by fire with ease and relative precision. Certainly the illuminated area would be within the specified arcs of fire of the riflemen in the trenches / fox holes.

Slightly off the topic but for clarity; when friendly arty fire is ordered onto an established (albeit short term) position as in the case of defence this is usually what is known as DF or Defensive Fire. This occurs when a position (nominated in plans as a DF location) is overrun by the enemy and as he begins to consolidate his postion a pre-planned fire mission in response to a code word or information that the position has fallen, is delivered directly on top of him. This might be ordered by the commander of the position himself as it is being overrun. An example of the former is illustrated near the end of Band of Brothers when Easy Company have taken a village and they get shelled, also when ordered by the characters played by Mel Gibson in "We were soldiers" and Dale Dye in Platoon. Just having taken an enemy position really is not the time to sit down for a brew!

Anyway, nice find and thanks for showing. What else have you found?

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Thanks for the info...thats all i found there,havent searched much there,the weather was to bad....

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    Interesting item, I'm not familiar with these WWII versions, but when I was a kid in Germany back in the 1970s, I inadvertently set one of those off while walking in the Lampertheim Forest...it was attached to a tree and shot off a flame about 3-4 feet upwards, scared the shit out of me...The US Army regularly trained in the forest and we'd often ride our bicycles out there to trade beer & wine for Military Items and C-Rations...
    cheers, Glenn
    Hahaha! I once laid on a tripwire about 3 feet away from the flare pot so I know what you mean. Mr Phosphorous is not your friend children

Re; the booze, I guess it was you giving it to the troops and not the other way round

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast