Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 1886 Bayonet ???

Article about: This bayonet was discovered in my late father in laws attic. I believe it is a French 1886 bayonet. On the hook is a stamped number 1460 5 with two additional stamps of a "R" &

?

Default WW1 1886 Bayonet ???

This bayonet was discovered in my late father in laws attic. I believe it is a French 1886 bayonet. On the hook is a stamped number 1460 5 with two additional stamps of a "R" & "P". On the blade there is a stamp mark of a "P" or "B". Appreciate your help in identifying this bayonet and the meaning of the Lion heads on the strap as well as any history.
    Thank you,
    Steve
    Semper Fi
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 1886 Bayonet ???   WW1 1886 Bayonet ???  

WW1 1886 Bayonet ???   WW1 1886 Bayonet ???  

Attached Images Attached Images WW1 1886 Bayonet ??? 

Your id of the bayonet is correct.

The lion's head strap is not French though. I beleive it is a German Navy sword hanger strap.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

You've correctly identified it. A bayonet for the French M1886 Lebel rifle. The French issued a rifle with a matching serial number bayonet, in this case 14605 (usually with series letter code). The "P" mark you see on the ricasso and crossbar (often inside a diamond or oval) is an inspection proof mark.

Also fits the French Berthier infantry long rifle as well-both rifle types and the bayo used in WW2 as well-the Germans used captured French weapons in both wars, so the German hanger may be related to use of the bayo or may have been put together at some time in the past century or so.

?

Thank you everyone. Very helpful and educational.

?

Another great find. I have one ,But not with that interesting hanger. Does the hanger clip have marking on the back? Semper Fi. Phil

?

I checked and nothing.
    Semper Fi