Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

ww1 reissued brass knuckles/trench knife

Article about: Hello all! i went to a local gun show and came upon one of these brass knuckles/ knives. i dont know much about these because i mainly stick with m-1 helmets but want to expand my knowledge

Default ww1 reissued brass knuckles/trench knife

Hello all! i went to a local gun show and came upon one of these brass knuckles/ knives. i dont know much about these because i mainly stick with m-1 helmets but want to expand my knowledge and collection. i was told its a ww1 knife that had one side shaved off and then added a new leather scabbard instead of a hard one for ww2. made by viner bros. can anyone give me more info on this, would love to learn some history on it. also, i would like to get a resale price so i know if i made a good deal or a bad deal. thanks p.s. let me know if you need more pictures
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ww1 reissued brass knuckles/trench knife   ww1 reissued brass knuckles/trench knife  

ww1 reissued brass knuckles/trench knife   ww1 reissued brass knuckles/trench knife  

ww1 reissued brass knuckles/trench knife   ww1 reissued brass knuckles/trench knife  

ww1 reissued brass knuckles/trench knife  

?

I hate to say it, but I am not convinced it is original. Could you post some daylight pictures, these are pretty dark.
    Regards,
    John

MAP
    ?

I agree with John. From what i know, this looks like a repro. There is a thread here on these. Will look for it.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

thanks for the news, even if it isnt the kind i wanted for now, i will post more pictures tomorrow

hope these might help until tomorrow...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ww1 reissued brass knuckles/trench knife   ww1 reissued brass knuckles/trench knife  

MAP
    ?

Here is the link. Quite informative. You can clearly see the differences in yours vs the other makers. I think yours is trying to mimic the Au Lion.

The U.S. M1918 Mk. I Trench Knife Thread.

I was lucky enough to pick one up cheaply last year. It is an Au Lion (the only ones used in WW1). You can compare it to yours.

WWI Mk1 1918 Au Lion Trench Knife

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

thanks, after looking, it seems to be mimicing the au lion with the nongrooved handle that has us 1918 on it. seems to be ok but there is not stamp. im not sure what you guys think but maybe the blade was switched so it has no stamp? i looked up some info and found the knife should be 6 3/4" which it is, and 5/16 which it isnt, could it have been shaved down so you cant see the stamp? or is it a blade from another maker? im not sure!

MAP
    ?

The whole knife is a repro. Not just the blade but the handle as well.

There are many details that do not match up. First, look at the lettering of the US 1918. Different from all the Au Lions. Second, look at the very sharply defined edges on yours especially around the end of the handle near the rear nut. Real Au Lions are generally much more roughly cast. And also the nut itself is different. Finally, and I don't know what to call it, but I've never seen a "spacer" where the blade goes into the handle. I could go on, but I think this should be enough.

I'm no expert but did a bit of research last year when I got mine. So happy to be proven wrong.

Regards,

Michael

ok thanks for the news

is the scabbard fake also?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast