Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Camillus Trench Knife M3

Article about: Hi, I have a chance to buy this Camillus knife. The knife looks a little sketchy to me, but I am not an expert by any means. Can anyone weigh in on if this is an authentic knife? Thanks, Phi

Default WW2 Camillus Trench Knife M3

Hi,

I have a chance to buy this Camillus knife. The knife looks a little sketchy to me, but I am not an expert by any means. Can anyone weigh in on if this is an authentic knife?

Thanks,
    Phil

WW2 Camillus Trench Knife M3

MAP
    ?

Phil,

I have an M3 but made by Imperial. So can't comment on the Camillus.

that said, until an expert comes along, take a look at this link. Shows a repro next to an original Camillus.

http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/imag...20Bld%203M.jpg

Regards,

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Sorry!!! I posted about M4 ID then deleted it

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

It looks good with the available photograph (that of course means nothing without it in hand), early production Camillus with manufacturer's name and model number on the blade rather than the later stamping on the guard along with the early M8 scabbard rather than the far more common M8A1 scabbard. What do you feel is "sketchy" about it?

From looking at the picture it seemed as if the blade was in much better condition than the scabbard. Also on the handle right by the pommel looked a little different to me, but I think it was just the lighting/angle of the photograph. I ended up buying the knife and after seeing it in person I have no concerns. I have never had a Camillus before so I always probably overthink it. From what I understand one dead give away on a repro is the angle in the "M" in Camillus will only go halfway down and in an original it will touch the bottom. Is this correct?

Originals also have a double pin through the pommel. Camillus re-issued the M3 in the early to mid-1990s and those have a single pin through the pommel.

Looks good to me as well - but with this pic it's hard to tell.
    There appears to be no wear on the blade at all which is
    odd - usually you will see some 'in-and-out' marks
    or scratches, although it is possible to find mint
    unused knives.........
    Regards,

Steve.