Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

WWI US Springfield Bolo Knife

Article about: Picked up a few knives today. Here is a really minty one. A WWI US Springfield Bolo Knife. Blade and scabbard are almost perfect. One chip on the handle. Dated: 1910 Serial number: 13967 Sca

MAP
    ?

Default WWI US Springfield Bolo Knife

Picked up a few knives today. Here is a really minty one. A WWI US Springfield Bolo Knife.

Blade and scabbard are almost perfect. One chip on the handle.

Dated: 1910
    Serial number: 13967
    Scabbard Dated: 1917 Rock Island Arsenal with what appears to be two inspection stamps (difficult to make out. One looks like 5M and the other OH but can't be sure.

I've heard that these are for the Medical Corp. Any one know?

Any and all comments welcome.

Michael

WWI US Springfield Bolo KnifeWWI US Springfield Bolo KnifeWWI US Springfield Bolo KnifeWWI US Springfield Bolo KnifeWWI US Springfield Bolo KnifeWWI US Springfield Bolo KnifeWWI US Springfield Bolo Knife
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

[QUOTE=MAP;1237733]Picked up a few knives today. Here is a really minty one. A WWI US Springfield Bolo Knife.

Blade and scabbard are almost perfect. One chip on the handle.

Dated: 1910
    Serial number: 13967
    Scabbard Dated: 1917 Rock Island Arsenal with what appears to be two inspection stamps (difficult to make out. One looks like 5M and the other OH but can't be sure.

I've heard that these are for the Medical Corp. Any one know?

Any and all comments welcome.

Michael

Greetings Michael,

Yes, the M1904 Hospital Corps Knife was meant for medics to make quick work on making splints and stretchers from locally available trees and such (not for amputations: an old wives' tale). Here's a thread with some further links to articles.
    The M1906 Hospital bolo... - EDGED WEAPONS - U.S. Militaria Forum Yes, it is wrongly named M1906 in the url. But all gets sorted out in the linked thread.

Regards,

Lance

MAP
    ?

Thanks Lance. Great information. So it is really the M1905!

Regards,

Michael

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    Thanks Lance. Great information. So it is really the M1905!

Regards,

Michael
    Greetings Michael,

Yes, technically/correctly it is the M1905, but most U.S. collectors know it as the M1904. Once something gets erroneously published and not corrected (quickly) the bogus legend begins.

Regards,

Lance

MAP
    ?

Quote by militariaone View Post
    Greetings Michael,

Yes, technically/correctly it is the M1905, but most U.S. collectors know it as the M1904. Once something gets erroneously published and not corrected (quickly) the bogus legend begins.

Regards,

Lance
    Yes, that is how I put it in my spreadsheet (as a 1904)! ....but with a note that it is really a m1905!

Will let my kids figure it out when I'm gone!
    Michael