Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Soviet Shaska sword

Article about: Hello to all collectors, Annoyed from this ads?   I like to ask for help with identification this old Soviet sword. Entire sword is in good condition, on blade is some corrosion and som

Default Soviet Shaska sword

Hello to all collectors,
    I like to ask for help with identification this old Soviet sword. Entire sword is in good condition, on blade is some corrosion and some hits. There are also several markings on blade, but I don´t know what they mean. Saber has wooden grip, and brass fittings, which are also marked - see on photos. On pommel are ornaments and "C.C.C.P." title.
    Can anybody help me to identify markings on blade and exact model of this sword? I believe it is authentic, but you can´t be sure with this items in these days.
    All comments and help are welcome!

Thanks for your time and help with this sword.

Best regards

Peter
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Soviet Shaska sword   Soviet Shaska sword  

Soviet Shaska sword   Soviet Shaska sword  

Soviet Shaska sword  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Soviet Shaska sword
    P
    Many

looks a good cossack sword.imo

It looks OK to me also. The pattern was originally a 'System of 1881' Imperial era Cossack saber (as was stated), becoming I believe a Model 1927 - but please don't hold me to that because it's from memory and I would need to verify the information. Best Regards, Fred

Looks an authentic 1927 pattern shashka. ЗГЗ is an acronym for Zlatoust State Factory (Златоустовский Государственный Завод). 32 stands for the year of manufacture (1932). Not sure, it's been speculated that Г stands for State Acceptance (Госприемка) and H17Кр. is something to do with the hardness of the blade metal.

It's been my understanding that the " Г " stands for 'goda' or year that with the much earlier Russian swords was written out in the French manner on the backs of blades following the date. Best Regards, Fred

Quote by Frogprince View Post
    It's been my understanding that the " Г " stands for 'goda' or year that with the much earlier Russian swords was written out in the French manner on the backs of blades following the date. Best Regards, Fred
    Believe if "Г" stood for "year" then it had to be written along with "32", not with "H17(kp.)".
    As I mentioned earlier, there is no clarity in online Russian resources on this isuue.

Quote by Mehti Safarov View Post
    Believe if "Г" stood for "year" then it had to be written along with "32", not with "H17(kp.)".
    As I mentioned earlier, there is no clarity in online Russian resources on this isuue.
    You are correct. My reference to the "Г" was for a (19)32 date, with some sabers just having the last two numbers on the blade. While others have all four numbers for the date. With (as I understand it) some Soviet factories of that era having name/logo changes for what we might now call political-other reasons. Best Regards, Fred

Hello to all! My friends sorry for my late reply, I was not at home, because of my new work. It is sad, but I don´t have internet connection - only one or two times per week, so that is why I can´t be here so often.

Big thanks to all with help, with identification of this Soviet sword!

Best regards

Peter