Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Help Needed- Nice Original SVT-40 Bayonet

Article about: Hi, some pics to share of a SVT-40 bayo that just arrived a bit ago. Now to find a rifle to go with it. The bayo came from Latvia. Lucky to find one that has not been refurbished, most you s

Default Help Needed- Nice Original SVT-40 Bayonet

Hi, some pics to share of a SVT-40 bayo that just arrived a bit ago. Now to find a rifle to go with it. The bayo came from Latvia. Lucky to find one that has not been refurbished, most you see are.

Can someone tell me the maker of this one from the pics?

The leather loop looks to be period, and maybe hand made??

Any info on this bayo will be appreciated.

Regards, Steve
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help Needed- Nice Original SVT-40 Bayonet   Help Needed- Nice Original SVT-40 Bayonet  

Help Needed- Nice Original SVT-40 Bayonet   Help Needed- Nice Original SVT-40 Bayonet  

Help Needed- Nice Original SVT-40 Bayonet   Help Needed- Nice Original SVT-40 Bayonet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help Needed- Nice Original SVT-40 Bayonet
    P
    Many

Default Re: Help Needed- Nice Original SVT-40 Bayonet

Looks like you have found a decent non-refurbished example. The leather hanger is correct and factory done. Good choice... It might could do with a little cleaning, but much harder to find in the flood of arsenal reblued examples on the market presently.

Quote by Wesley's Dad View Post
    Looks like you have found a decent non-refurbished example. The leather hanger is correct and factory done. Good choice... It might could do with a little cleaning, but much harder to find in the flood of arsenal reblued examples on the market presently.

Hi Michael, thanks, I really like this bayo. Yes, they are hard to find untouched. I got it to go with my untouched German Ostfront bayo I think the SVT bayo is in a little better shape

I just wiped the knife metal a bit with tri-flow gun oil. I don't like to "clean" them at all. No wire brushes or steel wool, ever. The German bayo I did pick a couple loose pieces of rust off of it with sharp exacto knife point. Just to get loose stuff off, then I also put gun oil on it to slow things down. I then just enjoy looking at them
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help Needed- Nice Original SVT-40 Bayonet   Help Needed- Nice Original SVT-40 Bayonet  

Your "cleaning" methods are what I had in mind. I picked up an nice non-refurb. a year or so ago. Tough to find and expensive when the seller knows what they have.

Quote by Wesley's Dad View Post
    Your "cleaning" methods are what I had in mind. I picked up an nice non-refurb. a year or so ago. Tough to find and expensive when the seller knows what they have.
    Hi Michael, I got it from my friends in Latvia. It was $143 delivered to my door. I think a fair price. All I ever see is re blued refurbed ones for $150-200.
    I was only looking for one for a little while, so not sure what they are really worth, but think I got a fair deal.

I did see a couple nice SA marked SVT original rifles for sale on GB for about $800-1000!! I should have got one 25 years ago, or at least before the "movie" they are expensive now.

Regards, Steve

Yes, "the movie" didn't help things with respect to prices in the U.S.A. I think you got a fair deal. I see better conditioned examples selling for twice your price fairly regularly... I had a reblued example that was given to me that was part of the flood of re-furbs that hit a few years back. I sold it to Igor from CollectRussia.com for $75 just to get rid of it. Those things are everywhere.

I just dug my "good" one out of the moving box it was packed away in. When I get around to photographing uniform buttons for another thread, I'll shoot some pics of my bayonet. Mine was a nice eBay suprise. When I bid on it, all I cared about was that it was a non-refurb. When I got it, I noticed that the sharp side of the blade faced up, towards the sight ring. Not sure of the price differential, but these "blade up" types seem to command a premium over the others.

Yes, please post pics when you can. Did you know the maker of my bayo by the stampings??

Yes, you're right, I read also the blade up were more rare, and I think they are the early ones??

Regards, Steve

?

It's an early type (prewar) of SVT-40 bajo. Late type, war time, has a little bit another scabards, more cheap production, stamped.
    Here,s the examples of two types of SVT-40 bajonets and also long SVT-38 bajonet.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help Needed- Nice Original SVT-40 Bayonet  

Interesting topic and beautiful examples of SVT bayonets. Searching on an Internetsale I found this SVT bayonet. I guess this is a reblued/refurbed example where you are writing about. It has a price of 75 Euro.
    I always thought that SVT bayonets are rare but this (low) price gives me another thought about that.
    What can be said about this bayonet and what about the leather frog? Is it real or is it a fake replacement?
    What about the electronic engraved serial number? Is this original too?

Quote by Asjemenou View Post
    Interesting topic and beautiful examples of SVT bayonets. Searching on an Internetsale I found this SVT bayonet. I guess this is a reblued/refurbed example where you are writing about. It has a price of 75 Euro.
    I always thought that SVT bayonets are rare but this (low) price gives me another thought about that.
    What can be said about this bayonet and what about the leather frog? Is it real or is it a fake replacement?
    What about the electronic engraved serial number? Is this original too?
    Hi, this is a nice bayo for 75 euro.
    The electro pencil and the leather is not original, they have been done post-war when the bayo was refinished.

Regards, Steve

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast