Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

mosin nagant scope?

Article about: Hello, this scope looks like a mosin nagant scope but could anyone give me his feeling about the stamped serial number. Except a mosin nagant, does another soviet rifle use such a scope? tha

Default mosin nagant scope?

Hello, this scope looks like a mosin nagant scope but could anyone give me his feeling about the stamped serial number. Except a mosin nagant, does another soviet rifle use such a scope? thank you for your help. jean seb
    Attached Images Attached Images mosin nagant scope? 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement mosin nagant scope?
    P
    Many

Default Re: mosin nagant scope?

Tovarisch;

That is a Soviet produced PU scope. It was primarily used on the model 1891/1930 (91/30) sniper rifle, with bent handle bolt.

It was also used in limited numbers on the SVT-40, but the extreme vibration of the SVT made the use of scopes less effective.

There has been some speculation that the SN on the scope corresponded to the SN on the rifle, but I have found no definitive evidence to verify this.

Here are a couple pics of some of my 91/30 snipers with PU.

Boridin
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture mosin nagant scope?   mosin nagant scope?  

mosin nagant scope?   mosin nagant scope?  

The end of the scope you show is unusual as it has some chequering to it by the looks of it? Can you confirm?

I believe these scopes also saw use on some light artillery peices?

I don't believe in the theory that the serial number is the same as the gun either.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks for your quick answers, this forum is wonderfull! Thank you Borodin for the pictures, because of the serial number I was not sure that this scope can be used with a 91/30. I believe that the year of production was included in the serial number (sometimes only the decade 43 for 1943) and this stamped number was suspect.
    Adrian I agree with you about the end of the scope. The seller do not have any mount bar but only the optic. Does someone try to add something on the end of the tube? That is why I am suspicious. The seller is an old lady who empties her attic and I am going to ask her for the other photos.
    Do you know until what date this scopes were produced?

I know these scopes were produced post war but I don't know when production ended.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    I know these scopes were produced post war but I don't know when production ended.

Cheers, Ade.
    It seems to me that they are STILL in production - with desirable 1930X/40X dates, judging from the vast amount that are available for sale at any given time to coincide with the "sniper version" rifles being purveyed in the firearms market...
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

Ah yes they certainly are. The modern copies are nice quality. The cross hairs always seem to be a bit wider than on the originals.

Cheers, Ade.

Per Richie and Ade... the modern reproductions are everywhere. Problably 6-10 on eBay every day.

Not to mention all the Chinese made saber/bayonet combos

Speaking of the sabre/bayonet combo, I have never seen any picture of a real one that way.

Can anyone provide a picture of the sabre/bayonet combo in Soviet service?

As to the scope, I see the knurling that you are referring to. I can't imagine why it is there. The PU does not have adjustable optics, unlike the PE/PEM, so there is no reason, that I am aware of to knurl the end of the optical tube.

I am not aware of the date of manufacture being in the scopes SN, if it is present, it is usually stamped separately, below the SN. One of my PU scopes is an original, with a 44 date, but was "upgraded" with the wider reticle pattern post war. The theory was that the wider pattern was more visible at night, and allowed the PU to be used, even at night, when there was adequate ambient light. Very early pictures of the SVD, show it being tested with PU, and PEM scopes.

Finding an original PU, with the narrow reticle pattern is very rare indeed.

Boridin

?

massenez,

That scope is a very early PU. The knob caps without a center screw were only used on early scopes. Don't know anything about the knurling.

Post your photos on the Gunboards Sniper Rifle for for more detailed information: The Sniper Rifle Forum

Slightly modified PU scopes were used on SVT40s. Many of the SVT40 scopes were recammed for use of 91/30s after the SVT40 was withdrawn for sniper use. These recammed scopes have a CB or GB between the numbers on the top turret knob.

tim

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast